4 Month Silkie Head Pecked almost raw - who done it?

5OneChick

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jul 17, 2023
San Gabriel Valley CA.
Our second little flock of 3 silkies (4-ish months) have shared a large yard with our original flock of 8 mostly standards (10 months: 7 girls 1 roo) The younger silkies spend days outside in pen area, deliberately not secure as I hoped they’d start adventuring out a bit. That also means the older birds can wander in, usually eating silkies’ food (which is the same as theirs now) and intimidating them. I hadn’t seen evidence of physical intimidation until yesterday and we spend a lot of time in the garden. Pretty sure it was the rooster. He’s been a jerk more than normal for the last week. There are a couple of hens that can be bullies. Nights are spent in the house still. Anyway, I noticed Beeker, the silkie victim had been lying down in a more flat position than normal. Top of her head looked messy. Feathers had been pecked out, a little skin showing almost a raw patch, no actual blood but clearly she was traumatized. Of course they will be kept in a different area of the yard separated from first flock by rod iron. Our 2 original silkies can fit through to hang out with them but the other fat butt standards cannot. I held Beeker for about half an hour. That is not something that she usually lets me do. Then brought her indoors, placed in dog crate I keep prepared for special incidents. It’s going to be difficult but I think the rooster will be rehomed.

My concern is for the original girls he grew up with. I’ve appreciated the way he takes charge of them - until he acts like a pimp. It’s been challenging watching him do what roosters do as this is my first experience with “livestock”.

Is there an ointment for chicken booboos to keep on hand?
Any recommendations of articles on bullying hens? It’s hard to watch these birds, my family, be mean to each other. Maybe bullying will subside after rooster is removed. He’s been given probably more chances than he deserves. Tried really hard to work with him and thought he was evolving - until a week ago. Curse him for being a jerk.

Guilt soothing comments are welcome.

Also it’s after 3 AM and I just want to go downstairs and hold Beeker. But I will wait till daylight 😏

Attachments

• IMG_6854.jpeg
    IMG_6854.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6854.jpeg
    IMG_6854.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 6
Our second little flock of 3 silkies (4-ish months) have shared a large yard with our original flock of 8 mostly standards (10 months: 7 girls 1 roo) The younger silkies spend days outside in pen area, deliberately not secure as I hoped they’d start adventuring out a bit. That also means the older birds can wander in, usually eating silkies’ food (which is the same as theirs now) and intimidating them. I hadn’t seen evidence of physical intimidation until yesterday and we spend a lot of time in the garden. Pretty sure it was the rooster. He’s been a jerk more than normal for the last week. There are a couple of hens that can be bullies. Nights are spent in the house still. Anyway, I noticed Beeker, the silkie victim had been lying down in a more flat position than normal. Top of her head looked messy. Feathers had been pecked out, a little skin showing almost a raw patch, no actual blood but clearly she was traumatized. Of course they will be kept in a different area of the yard separated from first flock by rod iron. Our 2 original silkies can fit through to hang out with them but the other fat butt standards cannot. I held Beeker for about half an hour. That is not something that she usually lets me do. Then brought her indoors, placed in dog crate I keep prepared for special incidents. It’s going to be difficult but I think the rooster will be rehomed.

My concern is for the original girls he grew up with. I’ve appreciated the way he takes charge of them - until he acts like a pimp. It’s been challenging watching him do what roosters do as this is my first experience with “livestock”.

Is there an ointment for chicken booboos to keep on hand?
Any recommendations of articles on bullying hens? It’s hard to watch these birds, my family, be mean to each other. Maybe bullying will subside after rooster is removed. He’s been given probably more chances than he deserves. Tried really hard to work with him and thought he was evolving - until a week ago. Curse him for being a jerk.

Guilt soothing comments are welcome.

Also it’s after 3 AM and I just want to go downstairs and hold Beeker. But I will wait till daylight 😏
I don't see any blood.

Plain none pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic ointment is what most of us use.

Back
Top Bottom