4 week old barred rock limping

bsmith6

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
Hi, new chick owner here. I have done research and talked to other chicken parents, but thought I would come here for other advice/thoughts. I have a 4 week old barred rock that is limping. She was fine Monday night, Tuesday morning didn’t come out with others. I brought her out and she ate then limped back and laid down. I have separated her, looked over her feet and legs. I don’t see anything obvious; no bruising, swelling, foot issues. Sometimes she stands normal other times can see favoring that leg. But, definitely limps when walking. She gets up and walks to food and water. She is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. She squawks most of evening and pecks at isolation cage. So, no change in behavior. I have been giving vitamins in her water, all chicks got electrolytes first couple of weeks. My question is three fold anyone with similar experience? Thinking injured herself learning to fly and getting up on roosts (only 9 in high). Second, is it best to keep her separated until completely healed? From what I read seems like that’s the case. Guess I am hoping for others experiences and that she can rejoin the group. Brooder really isn’t big enough to have a separate cage in there for her. Third, suggestions of other things I should be doing? Thanks

Hi, new chick owner here. I have done research and talked to other chicken parents, but thought I would come here for other advice/thoughts. I have a 4 week old barred rock that is limping. She was fine Monday night, Tuesday morning didn’t come out with others. I brought her out and she ate then limped back and laid down. I have separated her, looked over her feet and legs. I don’t see anything obvious; no bruising, swelling, foot issues. Sometimes she stands normal other times can see favoring that leg. But, definitely limps when walking. She gets up and walks to food and water. She is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. She squawks most of evening and pecks at isolation cage. So, no change in behavior. I have been giving vitamins in her water, all chicks got electrolytes first couple of weeks. My question is three fold anyone with similar experience? Thinking injured herself learning to fly and getting up on roosts (only 9 in high). Second, is it best to keep her separated until completely healed? From what I read seems like that’s the case. Guess I am hoping for others experiences and that she can rejoin the group. Brooder really isn’t big enough to have a separate cage in there for her. Third, suggestions of other things I should be doing? Thanks
Hi! I would keep her in a small space so she can rest her foot. It may be a mild sprain. Is she self isolating? Is she being bullied?

All chicks were together that night. Only saw a brief interaction with others when I went to brooder in morning. She didn’t come out with everyone, but didn’t mind when they all came back to where she was, near heat plate. So, not sure if that would be self isolating as such. In that brief time I didn’t see any bullying. I removed her at that point and she’s been in a smaller space, alone, since then. I will continue to isolate her and give her rest.

All chicks were together that night. Only saw a brief interaction with others when I went to brooder in morning. She didn’t come out with everyone, but didn’t mind when they all came back to where she was, near heat plate. So, not sure if that would be self isolating as such. In that brief time I didn’t see any bullying. I removed her at that point and she’s been in a smaller space, alone, since then. I will continue to isolate her and give her rest.
If shes not being bullied and is taking it easy I would keep her with the flock. Just make sure she's eating and drinking well.

I have a 3-4 week barnevelder that is clearly favoring one foot. I am concerned she injured it on our mini roost for the gals (6-8” high) and it’s clearly trembling when I inspect it but she can fully move it. She wasn’t being bullied but her 7 sisters are very flighty so she was getting run over and run into a lot. I moved her in with our >1wk old chicks and she seems to be doing better there.

I’m hoping she heals but am curious to hear how your pullet it doing!

Attachments

• AA072BD8-509C-4E34-9EBF-BA4E5AE51657.jpeg
    AA072BD8-509C-4E34-9EBF-BA4E5AE51657.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 6
  • D73EB0D6-79FC-45E0-92FA-C5BBFD4D2D2C.jpeg
    D73EB0D6-79FC-45E0-92FA-C5BBFD4D2D2C.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 6
I have a ~3 week old barred rock with the same issue just discovered this evening! I inspected her foot and completely clean it with saline spray, then sprayed with vetricyn for good measure, and massaged on her leg and foot poultry balm. I’m guessing she sprained it maybe landed wrong from the roost? She seems to be eating & drinking fine just taking things slowly/resting a lot. I have her in with her 5 other “sisters” because I feel like separating her would be too stressful. Not sure what else to do… I’ve never had a chick with this issue! Just thought it was interesting that yours is a barred rock!

I have a ~3 week old barred rock with the same issue just discovered this evening! I inspected her foot and completely clean it with saline spray, then sprayed with vetricyn for good measure, and massaged on her leg and foot poultry balm. I’m guessing she sprained it maybe landed wrong from the roost? She seems to be eating & drinking fine just taking things slowly/resting a lot. I have her in with her 5 other “sisters” because I feel like separating her would be too stressful. Not sure what else to do… I’ve never had a chick with this issue! Just thought it was interesting that yours is a barred rock!
I put mine back with the others after a couple days. that seemed to be better than separating them. She limped for a couple more days, then was fine. I just kept an eye on her to make sure she was eating and not getting picked on. If it’s the same issue I think she will be fine staying and will heal.

Back
Top Bottom