4 week old chick disappeared from dog crate overnight seemingly out of thin air

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I have four 4 week old silkies with a broody hen living in a dog crate inside the coop. The chicks are still small enough to get out of the dog crate though the bars. They were all there yesterday morning. This morning there were only 3 chicks. The door to the coop was open this morning, so there is a possibility the chick had gotten into the run and the adults chased it out into the yard (the chicks can get through the fence in the run). This happened once before with another chick, but we found it behind the coop and took it back inside.
We checked the yard. No chirping anywhere, no feathers. If it had been our dog (if the chick got out if the run), she would've likely brought the dead chick to us and be really proud about catching it. Same with our cats, although our cats have never been interested in chicks. My coop has gaps on both ends where the wavy roof meets the wooden wall. My theory is rats. Maybe a rat took the chick at night and dragged it out of the dog crate and then out of the coop? Because it seriously seems like the chick disappeared into thin air.
I'm going to stuff those gaps in the coop with old fabric, towels, pillowcases and stuff.
What could it have been and how would I make sure it won't happen again?

I agree with Lillith. I had chicks under a hen and kept careful watch over them. The coop is very secure and one just disappeared. Gone, into thin air. So, I set a rat trap and had success--there's no way I know of to make a coop impenetrable to rats.

I feel like with rats it’s never possible to completely eliminate them, only manage the population numbers. I had some living under the garage and set a cage traps which has been very successful. My tally is 15. I have no resident rats anymore but I do still catch the occasional visitor/scout rat from neighbouring properties. I live in the suburbs and the rats are everywhere.

Are you usind a wire dog crate, or a solid walled airline crate? How big? We found out the hard way that an airline crate is best, and then I apply duct tape on both sides of the lower wire door, so chicks can't get out of the door.
Wire crates, and smaller airline crates, are not a good thing for this. Raccoons can reach in and get everyone! Also rats are always a danger.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom