5 week old Australorp with issues

Jan 7, 2024
Island of Hawaii
My Coop
My Coop
Good day everyone,
I spend a bunch of time observing my chicks to get a feel for their personalities. I have a mixed flock of two Silver Sebrights, three Golden Sebrights, and two Australorps. They have been moved from their dog crate brooder to a much larger temporary coop and have been loving the extra space, sunlight, and environment.
Lately I've been noticing that their poops are more runny than they used to be.
This morning, one of the Australorps took a poo that came out especially small, frothy, and white and seemed to be attached to their vent by a strand of what appeared to be bloody mucous?

In their temporary coop they have access to grit, chick crumble, electrolyte water, plain water, and the red cinder that is the floor of the temp coop. I have noticed that their poops have been more red from scratching through the cinder, but this is something different. I do give them varied snacks, maybe twice a day, of radish greens/lettuce/broccoli/soldier fly larva. The soldier fly larva were given after the move, so might be contributing to more runny poos?

Can anyone give me your thoughts on what is happening, especially in relation to the bloody mucous I saw?

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Australorp, female, 5 weeks, 130grams. Smaller than the other Australorp, but otherwise seemingly normal.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Went to poo, produced a small, frothy, white stool that was accompanied by what looked to be red mucous string to vent. String was still attached when she walked away, though she and the other chicks cleaned it up.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just this morning

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other chicks have appeared to have this issue.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None to my knowledge.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unsure. Lots of variables have been changing for them with food, housing, level of interaction.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Chick electrolyte mix, water, chick crumble, leafy greens (lettuce, radish), soldier fly larva, broccoli (all treats chopped to appropriate size for them to eat)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny, white, frothy.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Home treatment is hoped for, still haven't met the -one- vet on the island that would see a chicken.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

Outside in a covered, converted catio since they outgrew the medium dog crate brooder. Dog crate brooder open so they can go in and out. Floor of the temp coop is red cinder and river cobbles. Bedding in the brooder is TSC pine shavings.

Coccidiosis is possible, it's very common in chicks. Symptoms are runny, mucousy, or bloody droppings, lethargy, sitting fluffed up, not eating or drinking well or at all. Without seeing the droppings, that would be my first suspicion. If they are all acting fine, then you could choose to wait and see if they start acting sick or if you see more abnormal droppings, but if any are acting off at all, I would start treatment right away. If it's coccidiosis then delaying treatment can sometimes be fatal. Treatment is Corid, available at most feed stores, I will attach images below. You can use either the powder or the liquid form, most people find the liquid to be more convenient, but get what they have. Dosing is 1 &1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid, mixed in a gallon of water. The medicated water needs to be the only water they have access to for the treatment period, no puddles or anything else. Treat for 5 - 7 days. Don't give supplements containing thiamine during treatment as it can reduce the effectiveness of the medication (it is not an antibiotic, it's a coccidiostat). Corid is very safe, you will do no harm even if it's something else, but coccidiosis can progress very quickly and be fatal. I would start treatment ASAP, if you think it's possible, and I would treat them all. At 5 weeks I would not be giving them all the extra treats, just their chick food, they are very tiny and they need the protein in the feed to develop properly. Extra treats reduces that. Also make sure they have chick grit available, they cannot digest all that fiberous green stuff without it.
2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg
a

Back
Top Bottom