6 weeks I think an early bloomer hen

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
This is Red my lavender buff Orpington mix and I think Red is an early bloomer. Red has the same wing shape as the hens and same tail her half brother has a bigger comb and wattles. I just wonder because I’ve had an early bloomer she looked like this at this age too and once they all hit maturity the rooster began to get bigger and she stayed the same and then she started laying and it became obvious she was an early bloomer. I just worry mainly because the wattles and comb are kinda big.

looking-for-something-maría-valverde.gif

This is Red my lavender buff Orpington mix and I think Red is an early bloomer. Red has the same wing shape as the hens and same tail her half brother has a bigger comb and wattles. I just wonder because I’ve had an early bloomer she looked like this at this age too and once they all hit maturity the rooster began to get bigger and she stayed the same and then she started laying and it became obvious she was an early bloomer. I just worry mainly because the wattles and comb are kinda big.
That chick looks male to me. I would trust the comb & wattles a lot more than I would trust the wing shape or the tail shape at this age.

The comb and wattles are big enough to make me think male, but I especially notice how red they are. That amount of red at age 6 weeks is a major sign of being male.

You mention a half-brother having a bigger comb and wattles. I think the half-brother is a real early bloomer (male), and this chick is not quite so early but also a male.

Back
Top Bottom