7 Reasons why I love the White Crested Polish!

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi everyone, I wanted to do a post on my favorite breed the White Crested Polish. This is my top 7 reasons why I am head over hills in love with the breed. I also thought that someone out there might find this post helpful. This is an edited version from a post of my blog. I hope that you enjoy! I will attach the link for those who are interested.

https://thekuntryklucker.blog

With their crazy 80's rock band hair do, it's hard not to love this fancy breed. Dressed in black and white, they look like they're going to a fancy "Chicken Gala". These classy girls leave all other chickens in the dust when it comes to clucky high class couture. The distinct white feathered crest on their head contrasting with their sleek jet black bodies sets them apart in a flock. Beauty may only be skin deep, but these girls are gorgeous inside and out. Read on to find out why we at The Kuntry Klucker Farm are head over hills in love with these black and white beauties.

1. Every polish chicken is crowned with white crest.
Apollo 2.jpg

White Crested Polish chickens and all Polish breeds always stand out due to the large fluffy bouffant of feathers that adorn their head like some kind of glamorous crown, the most iconic feature of this fancy breed. It's this feature that makes them a very popular choice for those who want something a little "different" in the flock. They will make visitors ask, "what is that?" due to the fact that they do not look like a standard chicken. As aesthetic as their crest may appear, be warned that these guys and gals need a little bit of "hair care". Do to their crown of feathers their vision is limited and may need to be trimmed or put in pigtails to allow them to see better. Because they are unable to groom their crests they are susceptible to mites and lice. To prevent this problem an owner needs to take proactive steps to keep these guys and gals looking their best. Because they do not tolerate being wet or dirty, an owner needs to provide a leak free dry coop and run. If a keeper can provide these services, this breed will bring great joy and diversity to the flock.

2. Non-broody hens who have more time to lay eggs and pose for pictures.
reasong to love WCP2.jpg

Broodiness is not a trait that is possessed by the Polish chicken, broodiness is the desire to incubate eggs and hatch chicks. Some breeds are prone to broodiness such as the Silkie and Orphington, the polish is one of the few breeds that are not. Because of this, they will continue to lay eggs for their keeper. Be warned though they are not prolific layers like other breeds, they lay about 120 small white eggs a year.

reason to love WCP 1.png

polish egg.png

But don't let this turn you off from the White Crested Polish chicken, they make up for the low egg output in other ways. For example, they make excellent and unique subjects for all kinds of photo ops. They are very docile and even tempered so working with them is a breeze. Which brings me to my next point.

3. Loyal and loving backyard companions.
coopsandblooms4.jpg

If you are looking for a loyal backyard friend, look no further than the White Crested Polish. Due to diminished vision, a consequence of their glorious crests, they will happily sit in the protection of their owners lap. Polishes become very attached to their owners often following them around the yard much like a dog. They crave human interaction and are happiest in the company of their owners. They are nervous and flighty by nature needing a dedicated and compassionate keeper who doesn't mind giving them a little extra attention. If kept in a flock due to vision limitatios, they tend to be at the bottom of the "pecking order". For this reason, it's best if they have digs of their own separate from larger or more aggressive breeds.

4. Delightful and unique personalities.
reasons to love WCP 8.jpg

The personality of the White Crested Polish is just as unique as their appearance. These guys and gals love to jabber and talk to their owner. If you want a chicken that you can have a conversation with, the White Crested Polish is the breed for you. They get very excited when their owner comes to the backyard, run, or coop. They want to follow you around and tell you all about their day. They eagerly bock, squeak, or trill all the details of their adventures. For this reason they are one of the noisier breeds, they are not quiet much like the Silkies. If this is okay for your situation then I highly recommend these little gossip gals.

5. Stunning phasic!

aphrodite and apollo.jpg

These guys and gals have a beautifully proportioned silhouette. Aside from the crest feathers that get in the way and diminish their vision, Polishes really have a shapely and attractive figure. They have full breasts, shapely wings, and deep bodies. As they strut towards you they have a playful bounce to their gate which further accents their crown of feathers. These guys and gals will truly be eye candy in your backyard flock.

5. Make excellent birds for poultry shows.
reasons to love WCP9.jpg

Polish chickens always stand out due to the large fluffy bouffant of feathers that adorn their head like a glamorous crown. It’s no surprise that the stylish look of these distinctive chooks make them a popular choice in poultry shows all round the world. When it comes to male crests in the competitive world of show chickens the bigger the better whereas a more round and even shaped crest is favored among hens. The roosters are very distigueshed, but due to their larger crests the feathers seem to take on more of a 80's rock hair band look. When trimmed and kept nice a well groomed polish rooster can steal the show.

6. Great breed to have around children.
Adam's polishes.jpg

If you want to involve kids with keeping backyard chickens, the Polish is a great breed to choose. Due to their appearance kids are often times captivated with the White Crested Polish. They are a gentile breed that is docile and not prone to aggression. Even the roosters are fairly good natured as compared to other breeds. Due to their vision limitations from their crests, they are fairly easy for kids to catch and bond with. They are a bit flighty which might startle young kids at first but once they get used to their behaviors they will really enjoy their feathered friends in the backyard. Currently I have 9 Polishes of different colors all of them are great with my boys.

7. Mysterious History. Where did they come from?
send coffee.jpg

It is not really clear where these stunning birds came from. You may be thinking that they came from Poland. But this is not the case. Their name is derived from the Dutch word "pol" which means head, however that is still being debated amongst poultry experts. It has also been hypothesized that they originated in the Netherlands, whereas other enthusiasts think that they were brought to Europe during the time of the Medieval Mongols. Other fun loving chicken lovers such as myself ponder if their origins are not of this world at all. Possibly like H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu, they came from Orion or another world out there, just kidding :) . In all seriousness though, no one really knows where these crown jewels really came from. Still today there remains a lot of mystery surrounding their origins. Maybe we will never know, but for rare breed chicken lovers that does not really matter. If anything, it just makes these cuddly backyard buddies even more lovable.

Are there any other White Crested Polish lovers out there?

I've had 1 white crested black polish named Izzy and she was a Kook.. (in a good way)
I have a scar on my face from her because she loved to jump on my head, but because of it being hard for her to see she would land on my face first then climb on my head

I love your pics!!!

I now have a Buff polish frizzle and a golden laced (or something similar)
izzy2.jpg
supermodel.jpg
izzyshair.jpg
izzy3.jpg
izzy69.jpg
izzyhair2.jpg
izzyhead.jpg

I've had 1 white crested black polish named Izzy and she was a Kook.. (in a good way)
I have a scar on my face from her because she loved to jump on my head, but because of it being hard for her to see she would land on my face first then climb on my head

I love your pics!!!

I now have a Buff polish frizzle and a golden laced (or something similar)
View attachment 1779996 View attachment 1779997 View attachment 1779999 View attachment 1780000 View attachment 1780001 View attachment 1780002 View attachment 1780004
Your babies are so pretty. Mine like to sit on my shoulder not my head thankfully. They are crazy all of them. I love polishes so much. thanks for sharing your pics, they are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom