8 month cockerel and kids

Let’s say tha you are successful in training him and your children to certain level of … truce. Your children have friends? Since you free range them any visitors are in potential danger . There are so many nice roster without home . If that was a dog you would not think twice removing i, right? Rosters are dangerous and powerful animals and I hope that you already took care of him . Let as known how the dinner was 😁

He’s gone. We had kept him penned over the past week until we were ready to try our hand at butchering. I got a little teary eyed when I brought him out and put him in the cone, but once he was dead I was ok. He did bite me a couple times while carrying him out, so that made it a little easier. He weighed in at 3lbs 7 oz finished, so not huge, but I hope he’ll be delicious.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ona happier note, we got chicks yesterday! Hopefully all pullets this time.

Attachments

• 715D4AAA-208E-46D5-BAC7-21208D63AAE3.jpeg
    715D4AAA-208E-46D5-BAC7-21208D63AAE3.jpeg
    724.5 KB · Views: 3
He’s gone. We had kept him penned over the past week until we were ready to try our hand at butchering. I got a little teary eyed when I brought him out and put him in the cone, but once he was dead I was ok. He did bite me a couple times while carrying him out, so that made it a little easier. He weighed in at 3lbs 7 oz finished, so not huge, but I hope he’ll be delicious.

I’m proud of you! It’s hard and you did the the right thing. You didn’t make your problem someone else’s problem. You’re tough and a very ethical chicken keeper. Good job.

I also was happy when my first rooster cull bit me that day. Revenge is easier on the soul.

It may make it easier to eat him if you leave him in the freezer long enough to make his identity less obvious.

Back
Top Bottom