8 week BYM chicks

Little Tala Bug

Songster
Feb 19, 2023
Scotland
Hi all, I've got some 8 week old backyard mix chicks. Some of them are very obviously male or female, but a couple are tripping me up. They have 2 different dads so their combs and feathering have been coming in at slightly different rates.

Mystery chick 1, Ginger:
20230718_181045.jpg
20230713_123822.jpg

Mystery chick 2, Flancesca 20230713_123207.jpg
20230718_181051.jpg

If it helps, I can post pictures of their more obvious siblings as well. Some of the boys have sizeable, red combs and wattles already, while the girls have basically no comb and if they do its all yellow.

Ginger and Flancesca are tripping me up because they have much bigger combs than their sisters and much smaller combs than their brothers, with very pale pink colouring.

Wow are they gorgeous!!! I think they're pullets. They have that sweet look about them. In addition to not having larger redder combs. Anyone else have the sense by their look? To me pullets have a demeanor about their face that's just softer to me. Lol

Wow are they gorgeous!!! I think they're pullets. They have that sweet look about them. In addition to not having larger redder combs. Anyone else have the sense by their look? To me pullets have a demeanor about their face that's just softer to me. Lol
Yes.....but I have found it only works reliably about 65% of the time.
Some pullets are masculine, while some cockerels are quite girlish looking!

Thank you everyone! I've been leaning towards pullets but questioning Flancesca in particular so this whole thread echoes my sentiments very closely.

They technically aren't even 8 weeks until Wednesday so have a fairly long road ahead until I know for absolute certain. I'll update again in a couple weeks time.

Cheers again to all who came to play pullet roo-lette!

:p:fl

Back
Top Bottom