8 week old Lakenvelders

LadyMyrtle

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
I've not had this much trouble identifying pullet/roo since I had bantam araucanas a few years ago! 😅

(How much difference does it make if you already have a rooster in the flock? Does that make baby roos slower to develop at all? This is my first year ever having a roo so not sure if that makes a difference??)

Anyway, all 3 have had identical behaviour from hatching until a couple of weeks ago when the green one got a bit more shy than the others. All 3 have identical leg sizes, identical feathering rates, identical feathers other than slightly different patches. They all look the same from above/profile.

I fully believed that all 3 were either pullets or roos rather than a mix, and my inclination from feather/leg/comb development and general behaviour was that they were pullets rather than roos. None of them have behaved like little roos. I am less sure now than I was, having looked at other pics on here of lakenvelder pullets/roos together, and with the redness of the green one's face. But the comb is still tiny! Not a huge sail like other pics on here!

Thoughts please and ty fellow chicken peeps!!

1000012010.jpg

1000012011.jpg

1000012012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom