8 week old pullet injured by falling 2x4

LuciferRoo

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
South Texas
I think one of my Plymouth Barred Rock pullets was injured by a 2x4 which fell about 3 feet (1 meter). I did not see it happen but did have a 8 foot long 2x4 fall.
About 30 minutes later I was giving the chicks watermelon and saw her just sitting in the shade. I thought strange because they all love watermelon. When I reached to pick her up she tried hobbling away.
I am not sure about her injuries. I know she is injured because she cannot walk normally.
I have her isolated in a small cage with her own food and water. She is eating. I gave her some dried meal worms and while she did not eat them right away, they were gone when I came back to check on her later.

How would I check her for injuries?
What is the most likely injury?

Spinal injury, head injury are possible. Treat for shock first in all injuries by giving her one cup of water with one teaspoon of sugar.

One vitamin E capsule daily can help heal injured nerve connections. One vitamin B complex tablet per day given directly into the beak.

If she has trouble balancing or has leg weakness, it could be a spinal column injury. If she droops her head and neck or looks at the sky, it could be a head injury.

She seems alert and does not seem to be in shock or in stress. I handle these girls daily and they all come running to me when they see me (they are free ranging in my backyard).
If it was not for her limping I would had thought she was perfectly normal - for a chicken that is sitting and observing. It's very hot here, so they do a lot of sitting in the shade but come running when they see or hear me.
Are these human vitamin E.and B?
What is the dosage.?

Vitamins are vitamins. Often it's just easier to find vitamins for chickens by going where they sell people vitamins. Cheaper, too, when you aren't paying for a bottle with a picture of a chicken on it.

Give one vitamin B-complex (50 -100mg each B) once a day and one 400iu vitamin E per day.

By the way, what do you think a chicken in shock looks like? Actually, no different, but their behavior often is that of a drunk, unsteady on the feet, tripping, weak legs. That's what shock looks like. But it's better to prevent shock from getting that far by treating it before the serious symptoms appear. Shock can be life threatening, and treating for shock as a matter of course when a pet has an accident is as easy as giving them a drink of water, except there's sugar in it.

In case anyone wonders about the outcome the chicken is doing fine.
I took her to the vet, where they examined her and determined that nothing was broken.
I took her home and put her in the house inside a dog cage lined with straw. She stayed in the house for about a month and we watched her. After a couple of weeks she started to show progress (her limp was less noticeable).
Once she got to the point that she could walk with only a slight limp, I put a band around her leg and placed her back with her flock. She got picked on a bit at first so she was put inti to an enclosure for a few days. Enclosure is in the same backyard where the chickens free range. For the night she was placed inside with her siblings. After a couple of days she was able to rejoin her flock full time.
She now walks normally and the only way I can tell her apart from her 5 sisters is that band on her leg.

Back
Top Bottom