8mo old hen appears sickly

Sparky817

Hatching
Mar 25, 2024
Isolated her yesterday as her behavior was lethargic and she had no energy to flee as she normally would have, let me pick her up and remained calm, atypical for her. Was witnessed drinking water non stop from Brooke. In isolation she continues drinking a lot. Yesterday she ate 1/4 cup of meal worms and popped solid this morning, has not eaten food yet today only drinking. Standing in corner eyes closed panting, occasionally drinking. Had layer her first mini egg two weeks ago. She is 1 of a group of 4 of which 1 died this spring early in life for unknown reason. She has always been the most skiddish of the flock and initially I thought she had been bullied to starvation, but with the panting and not eating in isolation I think something else is up. Idk what's her deal?

Attachments

• 1711380917.jpg
    1711380917.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry no has answered you; I'm just now seeing your post.

How is your pullet doing?

Has she laid an egg since your initial post? If not, then I'd consider giving her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet for a few days to see if that helps her with an egg.

You mention she's drinking a lot of water. Often this can indicate a crop issue, so I'd check to see if her crop is emptying, if it's not, then address that symptom according to this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What do you normally feed your girls? Mealworms make a nice treat, but I'd go easy on them, give just a few daily.
I'd try to encourage her to eat a nutritionally balanced poultry feed (Layer Feed, Chick Starter, All Flock, etc.). Do provide her with food/water during waking hours.
Oyster shell and Poultry Grit (crushed granite) provided separately free choice is always a good practice to have in place too.

Let me know how she is.

Back
Top Bottom