A little concerned

Owlalwaysbeme

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
Hey everyone, I am wondering if my newly laying hen is egg bound or if I have a new layer in the flock. My Rhode Island red started laying October 15 and has laid an egg pretty much consistent every day sometimes every other day the shells and the eggs look extremely healthy however, this morning when I went out to the coop, I actually opened up the back portion where I normally clean out and found and under developed and that was opened with an exposed yolk in a very soft shell. I don’t know if this was from my Rhode Island red that’s been laying for the past week or two or if this is a new layer, I do have oyster shell as a supplement for calcium. I also noticed my Rhode Island Red this morning did come out and eat but now she’s kind of staying out of the way and acting a little off. I did pick her up and look at her vent, and her vent looks healthy. below are the pictures of the egg that I found this morning with the off shell and yolk along with the eggs since she has been laying. Her last egg I found was last night that was healthy looking. She also consistently lays in the nesting box’s. The soft egg was found inside the coop underneath the roosting bars. The only other brown egg layers in my flock are my two buff Brahma’s which are 20 weeks tomorrow I do have two Easter Eggers that are also around the same age. Wondering if anybody have thoughts on if this egg is from my Rhode Island red or if it’s a new layer. The shell color is a lot lighter than my RIR. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8917.jpeg
    IMG_8917.jpeg
    880.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8920.jpeg
    IMG_8920.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8913.jpeg
    IMG_8913.jpeg
    698.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8914.jpeg
    IMG_8914.jpeg
    645.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8912.jpeg
    IMG_8912.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 12
This behavior following a partially crushed egg appearing in the nest can mean some of the egg material still remains in the oviduct and needs to be expelled. Often, a second egg is involved, creating egg binding. The treatment is a warm quiet crate in a dim place and calcium citrate plus D3 given whole right into the hen's beak. The calcium, minimum 600mg, will stimulate contractions that will expel the egg material. This is a medical emergency, so prompt action is required.

In addition, since the egg was broken, yolk may be setting up infection, so an antibiotic is wise. What do you have on hand?

I don’t have any antibiotics on hand I have VetRX, Epson salt, but I can definitely run to the local farm store to grab what I need I am new to this, so any advice on what I should grab is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This behavior following a partially crushed egg appearing in the nest can mean some of the egg material still remains in the oviduct and needs to be expelled. Often, a second egg is involved, creating egg binding. The treatment is a warm quiet crate in a dim place and calcium citrate plus D3 given whole right into the hen's beak. The calcium, minimum 600mg, will stimulate contractions that will expel the egg material. This is a medical emergency, so prompt action is required.

In addition, since the egg was broken, yolk may be setting up infection, so an antibiotic is wise. What do you have on hand?
For the calcium citrate would it just be regular over-the-counter calcium pills 600 mg or does it have to be specifically for poultry?

I just went out to check on my Rhode Island again, and she seems to be acting her normal self noise self again. I found this pictured below what almost looks like she passed an unusually small underdeveloped egg pictured below was fully intact. I cut open just to see what the inside look like.

Attachments

• IMG_8932.jpeg
    IMG_8932.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8933.jpeg
    IMG_8933.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 8
Not an egg. It appears to be salpingitis tissue from infection in the oviduct. She needs an antibiotic. If treated now, it may be extinguished. Long term, it will cause her to be sterile and die prematurely if not treated.

All people vitamins and minerals are the same that chickens also need. The people version is cheaper and easier to administer.

Back
Top Bottom