A little information on lovebirds.

Aug 8, 2019
I was thinking of getting a pair of lovebirds. Idk the age but they are old and being sold as an breeder pair how hard would it be to tame them? How tame will they get and if I manage to tame them will they still breed? I'm not willing to clip wings. I have 2 cockatiels they were sold to me as breeder pair but all they do is fight. They are very lovely and I have managed to tame them a bit they will get onto my hand for food. Nothing other than this. Would also like to know how can I get them to let me touch them or ayleast step up.

Lovebirds are very different to cockatiels. Their call is very loud and shrill, and they can do a lot of damage with their beaks. Their personality is more like a larger parrot. They bond very closely with their chosen mate so I don't know that it would be possible to tame them.

Splitting up your cockatiels should make it easier to tame them individually. Even though they don't like each other they still find security in each other and view the other as their flock. If possible I would house them in different cages and in different rooms so that you can work on them one on one. That way they should form a bond with you as you will become their security.

Food is great for bribery. Clipping their wings would make it easier also, and you could always let them grow their wing feathers back once they had tamed down.

Personally I prefer clipped wings for inside birds as, especially if you live with other people and especially children, it's easy for a window or door to be left open or opened at just the wrong moment, and there are so many hazards indoors. If you live by yourself it's a lot easier to control those hazards. But I have read of many awful accidents that could have been prevented if people had at least been keeping an eye on their bird and that couldn't have happened if the bird had clipped wings. If their wings are clipped you have to keep an eye on them and they are most likely to be sitting on you anyway. A fully flighted bird tends to not be watched as closely meaning they can chew things that are poisonous (many houseplants are poisonous) or get into things that are dangerous. A bird can even drown in a glass of water left on a table.

I hand rear cockatiels to sell as they really are the best pets - we just adore them. Sadly one of the babies from this year was allowed to regrow his flight feathers at his new home and he managed to escape out a window and his owners weren't able to retrieve him. Even tame birds are extremely difficult to recapture if they manage to escape.

Lovebirds are very different to cockatiels. Their call is very loud and shrill, and they can do a lot of damage with their beaks. Their personality is more like a larger parrot. They bond very closely with their chosen mate so I don't know that it would be possible to tame them.

Splitting up your cockatiels should make it easier to tame them individually. Even though they don't like each other they still find security in each other and view the other as their flock. If possible I would house them in different cages and in different rooms so that you can work on them one on one. That way they should form a bond with you as you will become their security.

Food is great for bribery. Clipping their wings would make it easier also, and you could always let them grow their wing feathers back once they had tamed down.

Personally I prefer clipped wings for inside birds as, especially if you live with other people and especially children, it's easy for a window or door to be left open or opened at just the wrong moment, and there are so many hazards indoors. If you live by yourself it's a lot easier to control those hazards. But I have read of many awful accidents that could have been prevented if people had at least been keeping an eye on their bird and that couldn't have happened if the bird had clipped wings. If their wings are clipped you have to keep an eye on them and they are most likely to be sitting on you anyway. A fully flighted bird tends to not be watched as closely meaning they can chew things that are poisonous (many houseplants are poisonous) or get into things that are dangerous. A bird can even drown in a glass of water left on a table.

I hand rear cockatiels to sell as they really are the best pets - we just adore them. Sadly one of the babies from this year was allowed to regrow his flight feathers at his new home and he managed to escape out a window and his owners weren't able to retrieve him. Even tame birds are extremely difficult to recapture if they manage to escape.
Thank you for answering. I was thinking the same, my aunt had lovebirds in a colony with tiels and they were so aggressive that she had to seperate them from the tiels. I might get one as a breeder pair and tame their babies instead.
I do have 2 cages so seperating the tiels won't be an issue. I'll just have to find the right places to put the cages. I have never clipped wings of a small bird like a cockatiel. I agree to everything u stated about the hazards. I've had a pair of conures fly out and that was so heartbreaking. I think I have a pair of tiels I'm not sure I'll post pictures below.. I think I have a pair of tiels I'm not sure I'll post pictures below. I think the darker one is a male, he has no pattern on his tail wings etc. He sings alot more than the other one and dances and listens to my whistles alot more he is harder to tame. The lighter one has a pattern under her tail and doesn't sing. They do look like a male and an female but they are not a pair despite living together for over an year.

Attachments

• 20201229_122027.jpg
    20201229_122027.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201229_122157.jpg
    20201229_122157.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thank you for answering. I was thinking the same, my aunt had lovebirds in a colony with tiels and they were so aggressive that she had to seperate them from the tiels. I might get one as a breeder pair and tame their babies instead.
I do have 2 cages so seperating the tiels won't be an issue. I'll just have to find the right places to put the cages. I have never clipped wings of a small bird like a cockatiel. I agree to everything u stated about the hazards. I've had a pair of conures fly out and that was so heartbreaking. I think I have a pair of tiels I'm not sure I'll post pictures below.
They are so beautiful. 🥰 The first one definitely looks pied so that one can't be visually sexed. The other definitely sounds like a male (and he sure is handsome). Males are much more vocal (usually) and will hold their wings out at the top so that they form a heart when showing off. That's a sure indication of a boy. Girls usually have a more simple chirp and are generally quieter (though there are always exceptions).

Sometimes a pair just don't like each other enough to breed. And some hens just don't seem to be interested in raising a family, yet there are others who want nothing more than to be a mother. It can be frustrating when you know two birds would make beautiful babies but they just aren't interested in breeding.

They are so beautiful. 🥰 The first one definitely looks pied so that one can't be visually sexed. The other definitely sounds like a male (and he sure is handsome). Males are much more vocal (usually) and will hold their wings out at the top so that they form a heart when showing off. That's a sure indication of a boy. Girls usually have a more simple chirp and are generally quieter (though there are always exceptions).

Sometimes a pair just don't like each other enough to breed. And some hens just don't seem to be interested in raising a family, yet there are others who want nothing more than to be a mother. It can be frustrating when you know two birds would make beautiful babies but they just aren't interested in breeding.
Got it thank you! I don't care about the genders since I've given up on breeding now. Will focus more on taming them.

Back
Top Bottom