Accidental Rooster!

kcal

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
NW Illinois
Looking for some help regarding an accidental rooster we acquired. Long story short (hopefully) - we bought a somewhat large number of new chicks (all pullets) to add to our flock this year because the demand for our eggs has grown so much. After a few weeks it became very obvious that one of them was mis-sexed and I wound up with one rooster by mistake. He has a very large comb and just started trying to crow (almost 8 weeks old now). So this brings me to my dilemma:

In the past, I was against having a rooster. I tried it out when I got my first chickens and it didn’t go well, so I wasn’t going to do it again. I have young children, but they don’t go in the run very often. However, although my chickens are typically in a large run, I do like to let them out every once in awhile for supervised free range time. This rooster has not shown any signs of aggression. In fact, so far he runs away from us any time we get close (I haven’t had as much time to socialize these newbies the way I have with past additions).

What I’m wondering is what opinions others have on trying to keep him. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to have him around to protect the hens. We used to keep goats in the same run with our chickens and they were a large deterrent to most of the small predators around here (weasels, coons, bobcats, and even hawks), but we recently sold our goats so I have been worried about those small predators becoming a problem. However, I know there’s always a risk with having a rooster, even the friendliest roosters, especially with kids around. Is it worth the risk? Our first rooster became aggressive enough with me that I had to bring a shovel any time I went into the pen. And he would even protect ME from the other hens if he felt one of them did something wrong. But I have read sometimes roosters are less likely to become aggressive when they’re raised in multigenerational flocks because the older, bigger hens will help put him in his place when he’s still smaller. Right now my 8 week olds are still separated from the rest of the flock. So do I wait and see how he does as he gets older? Or do I just assume the risk is too high since it’s hard to really ever fully trust a rooster?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I’m just unsure what to do. If I do decide not to keep him, I do have a friend nearby who has a very large flock and lots of experience with roosters that has said she would have no problem taking him. So if I decide not to keep him, it’s not like he would have to be culled.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is a personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few myself. But those are choices, not needs. I generally suggest you keep as few males as you can and still meet your goals. That is not because you are guaranteed problems with more males, you are not guaranteed any, but the more males you have the more likely you are to have problems. For many people the best number is zero.

You read a lot of warnings against roosters and some horror stories about them. Those horror stories are real, they do happen. But there are a lot of people that keep roosters and do not have those horrible things happen to them. Each situation is unique.

You can read a lot of advice on how to raise a nice rooster or how to avoid raising a horrible rooster. Often that advice is conflicting. It is conflicting because you do not get guarantees no matter what you do. What works for one person does not work for another. You never know how it will turn out with living animals, anything can happen.

In my opinion the amount of protection a rooster adds to the flock is often exaggerated. Some do give their lives protecting the flock. It does happen. But when I've had issues my roosters are more likely to try to lead the flock to safety instead of fighting a rear guard action. Each one is different. Most roosters are alert for danger so they add something as an early warning system to lead them to safety, but often in an all-hen flock the dominant hen takes over a lot of those duties so you often don't lose much, if anything, without a rooster.

Some people would never have a flock without a rooster, others free range their all-hen flocks and are quite happy. Each situation is unique. I don't know what is the right answer for you, but I don't see anything in what you wrote that makes me think you need to keep him. That way you don't have to worry about your kids.

Looking for some help regarding an accidental rooster we acquired. Long story short (hopefully) - we bought a somewhat large number of new chicks (all pullets) to add to our flock this year because the demand for our eggs has grown so much. After a few weeks it became very obvious that one of them was mis-sexed and I wound up with one rooster by mistake. He has a very large comb and just started trying to crow (almost 8 weeks old now). So this brings me to my dilemma:

In the past, I was against having a rooster. I tried it out when I got my first chickens and it didn’t go well, so I wasn’t going to do it again. I have young children, but they don’t go in the run very often. However, although my chickens are typically in a large run, I do like to let them out every once in awhile for supervised free range time. This rooster has not shown any signs of aggression. In fact, so far he runs away from us any time we get close (I haven’t had as much time to socialize these newbies the way I have with past additions).

What I’m wondering is what opinions others have on trying to keep him. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to have him around to protect the hens. We used to keep goats in the same run with our chickens and they were a large deterrent to most of the small predators around here (weasels, coons, bobcats, and even hawks), but we recently sold our goats so I have been worried about those small predators becoming a problem. However, I know there’s always a risk with having a rooster, even the friendliest roosters, especially with kids around. Is it worth the risk? Our first rooster became aggressive enough with me that I had to bring a shovel any time I went into the pen. And he would even protect ME from the other hens if he felt one of them did something wrong. But I have read sometimes roosters are less likely to become aggressive when they’re raised in multigenerational flocks because the older, bigger hens will help put him in his place when he’s still smaller. Right now my 8 week olds are still separated from the rest of the flock. So do I wait and see how he does as he gets older? Or do I just assume the risk is too high since it’s hard to really ever fully trust a rooster?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I’m just unsure what to do. If I do decide not to keep him, I do have a friend nearby who has a very large flock and lots of experience with roosters that has said she would have no problem taking him. So if I decide not to keep him, it’s not like he would have to be culled.
Nothing to add....you're response is great!

Back
Top Bottom