Accurite thermometer

Carole AM

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Goshen, Indiana
I just bought one of these at WallyWorld. The instructions don't tell anything about using it in an incubator. (Big suprise)

It has 2 readings- (top & bottom) which one should I go by?

Should the probe be ON the eggs? (with the thermometer on the wire?)
Both on the wire?

Sorry, but I need to get the temps correct! Still air LG- no turner.

Carole, if you have the one I think you have, one reading is the outside temp and one is meant to be the inside temp. People put the probe outside a window to read that temp, so the probe will go into your water weasel or anywhere inside the bator and the one that is the "outside temp" is your bator temp. BUT, the probe does not measure humidity, if it's the one I got, only temp. UNLESS you put the entire unit into the bator, it cannot read the humidity. Did it cost about $12? Then it's the one I have. To read humidity, you'd have to put the entire unit into the bator since the probe doesn't read humidity if it's this one:
DCP_5183RoomBatorRoomHumidity.jpg

Last edited:
That's ironically the same model I borrowed from my sister. I keep the probe inside the bator. I read about the water weasel trick awhile back, and it completely slipped my mind. Otherwise I would prolly be doing it. My eggs are about 3 days from hatch, kewl. but for the most part, it seems my bator keeps a constant 100 degrees.

But I would prolly go with the water weasel trick. I had button quail eggs in a Hovabator, but a few days have been colder than suggested. So if they're dead or don't hatch for some reason, at least I'll have a reason to buy some more eggs and check the trick out.

Yep, that's the one!
big_smile.png
I put the whole thing in the bator! (I had the probe on top of the eggs, probe beside the eggs, etc.) I don't have a water weasel (yet), but I'll try this for now. It SURE beats the thermometers that came with the bator!

I hope this gets me some babies!

Me, too, Carole! You're overdue! Ironically, the hygrometer on that one is not accurate in larger spaces like a room, but much more on the money in an enclosed space. I calibrated it and the other one I have made by Springfield that is smaller I bought at Home Depot.

Last edited:
I layed my egg turner on screen and put therm. and hydrometer on screen in between eggs. Just hatch 29 outta 31 at christmas. And the 2 had formed chicks but no pip or movement.

Well after a few adjustments, it is now @ 101* ! These are my own eggs I have in the LG, so it won't be that big of a deal if they don't hatch. BUT- now if the ones in my HOVA don't .... I'm gonna be really mad. :mad:

Now that the temps are okay in the LG, I put the Accurite into the Hova, just to check it. I'll report on that later.

The water weasel makes a huge difference in showing that the internal temps in an egg do not change as rapidly as the bator air temps so you aren't tempted to make any hasty adjustments. I just found one at the discount dollar store for $2. Called a water weiner or something equally stupid, LOL. If you find one, put the probe inside that and I think it'll go better for you.

Back
Top Bottom