Adding to the flock

Shipped chicks always carries some risk -- which is mainly from the postal service and has little to do with the hatchery -- but I've not gotten a dead chick yet in a couple years of ordering chicks in the mail.
I think most hatcheries have high survive transit rates. I had ordered from another hatchery and all arrived alive (lost one on night 1). I had expected much more early deaths/DOA, but I only could remember from my childhood when chicks came on the bus.

I think most hatcheries have high survive transit rates. I had ordered from another hatchery and all arrived alive (lost one on night 1). I had expected much more early deaths/DOA, but I only could remember from my childhood when chicks came on the bus.

Yes, I think that all the reputable, long-term hatcheries are probably similar in their shipping results -- with most negatives being due to the vagaries of the postal system (which, nevertheless, functions most of the time).

If you can find a breeder near you that is certified, that is the route that I would go. If they don't have a breed that you are looking for, they just might have connections with someone that might. I haven't done a hatchery before, mainly because I don't want to raise chicks, so I have found a reputable place near me (just over 1 hr drive) that I purchase from.

Back
Top Bottom