Advice on adding to our flock please

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
We have seven full grown hens, all docile friendly breeds. We have two sets of chicks three weeks apart-the older ones are 9 week old Cochins and are out most of the day by now the younger set are 6week old silkies, so you recommend integrating the two sets of chicks and then introducing all the new ones to the existing flock at the same time or breaking it up and adding the older ones then later the silkies? I’m hoping the silkies will do fine w all the others but if need be I have a set up where they can have their own coop and run. Thanks

We have seven full grown hens, all docile friendly breeds. We have two sets of chicks three weeks apart-the older ones are 9 week old Cochins and are out most of the day by now the younger set are 6week old silkies, so you recommend integrating the two sets of chicks and then introducing all the new ones to the existing flock at the same time or breaking it up and adding the older ones then later the silkies? I’m hoping the silkies will do fine w all the others but if need be I have a set up where they can have their own coop and run. Thanks
Personally I would integrate them all together. When I introduced my silkies they got bullied pretty badly due to being submissive and small bantams. The more you add the less the older chickens will single certain ones out. Power in numbers. I might wait until the silkies are a bit older so they aren't too teeny tiny.

Back
Top Bottom