Advise on Very Noisy Dominique Hens, 2.0

trputman

Chirping
Jan 5, 2022
Riverton, NJ
Hi All-

A sequel to the dormant thread below, but this has now become such an issue that we're facing rehoming our hens because of their noise level:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/advice-on-very-noisy-dominique-hens.1513181/

These hens still can't pipe down. They are especially noisy in the morning, screaming and trumpetting. And when one is in the laying box, the other two will start up. You can get a sense of the typical noise level (and see a cat), filmed from inside our house, here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/972tdca9vuro9tc/IMG_4073.3gp?dl=0

We've tried just about everything we can think of to try to address this, including changing the feed, expanding their run, opening up access to the adjoining compost pit, varying their schedules, etc. But in the end, it's still unpredictable (they seem to go through noisy periods, as in the last week) and they may have learned that noise gets rewards, because these days the only thing that quiets them down in an emergency is being let out into the open yard or getting dry or fermented layer food (their version of a treat; or a cabbage). But we have really tried to avoid doing that when they are noisy to prevent reinforcing this behavior. I've also read that this breed are excellent foragers, so there may be a point where we just can't address boredom in our small space (we can't allow free ranging).

Basic notes for reference:

-Three year-old Dominique hens. They are good layers and friendly with each other and us.
-They have about 55 square feet of run space, including access to the side of an active compost pit, which I was hoping would keep them from getting bored. We let them out into our small yard whenever we can, and they love eating grass, looking for things, etc.
-We use vertical PVC feeders and waterers.
-They eat Scratch and Peck organic layer pellets with grub protein (which we shifted to when we realized that on the usual S&P dry ration they would just eat a single seed type and waste the rest, effeci, plus a cup of fermented organic layer feed every day, which they love.

Thanks for any thoughts!

-Tyler

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you? If you put your general location into your profile people can give better targeted advice.

Hens can indeed be louder than people expect them to be. :(

What, exactly, is the problem they're creating? Are you getting neighbor complaints? Are they audible on phone calls when you're working from home? Are they disturbing day-sleepers? ???

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you? If you put your general location into your profile people can give better targeted advice.

Hens can indeed be louder than people expect them to be. :(

What, exactly, is the problem they're creating? Are you getting neighbor complaints? Are they audible on phone calls when you're working from home? Are they disturbing day-sleepers? ???
Thanks! I'm in Riverton, NJ, which is a residential suburb with close-set houses. While our neighbors don't mind (and we have a light rail line very close which sets a high bar for noise), the chickens really get going in the morning, after I've opened their coop door but before I'd like to otherwise be fully awake, and it's clear that they aren't happy. When we are home during the day, they can get up enough racket to drown out conversations. Thanks for any thoughts!

You can sure try the squirt gun. It might work.

But if it doesn't, I think I would sell these birds and try a different breed. There are quieter birds. The thing is, you are all set up, it would be a shame to waste that. Many people seem to think that chickens need to be forever friends, and while once in a while, I get a favorite, really livestock is meant to move on.

So don't feel guilty, trust me there are people out there in a more farm like situation, that would love to add your birds, and they will lead the good life. Post at the feed store, and I would sell them for about $10 per head, maybe $8 if they take them all.

Do a bit of research, and find something quieter.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom