Anemic rooster

Chickenlovernorway

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2024
Hi,
I could really use some help as i am worried sick about my poor rooster who is very anemic. I have been giving him «Red Cell Avian tonic» for two days now, but i am not sure on how much dose you are suppose to put in his drinking water when he only weighs 1kg? I have been putting 5-10 drops in is small drinking bowl, but he only takes a very small sips so i am pretty sure he didnt take too much. I took him to the vet and he said my rooster is very anemic and needs the suppelments, he was no expert so he did not say how much. Has anyone used Red Cell Avian 100ml tonic before? I am praying hard this goes well🙏🏻

Are you in Norway? Welcome to BYC. Red Cell is for chickens, although some sites say it can be used for chickens. There are other supplements just for chickens where it can be given orally. Feeding beef liver in small amounts would supplement iron and much of the B vitamins. You could make a paste of it in the freezer, and give just a bit daily or often.

Do you know if your rooster is anemic from a mite problem? Is he getting a balanced feed for chickens? The info I found on Red Cell recommended putting it on feed or in water 5 to 10 ml per gallon (4 liters) of water. But here is a link where dosage of Red Cell is given:
https://gamefowlsupplement.com/products/red-cell-100ml-vitamin-mineral-supplements

In the US, I would use Poultry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench 1 ml orally for each pound or Kg of weight.

Are you in Norway? Welcome to BYC. Red Cell is for chickens, although some sites say it can be used for chickens. There are other supplements just for chickens where it can be given orally. Feeding beef liver in small amounts would supplement iron and much of the B vitamins. You could make a paste of it in the freezer, and give just a bit daily or often.

Do you know if your rooster is anemic from a mite problem? Is he getting a balanced feed for chickens? The info I found on Red Cell recommended putting it on feed or in water 5 to 10 ml per gallon (4 liters) of water. But here is a link where dosage of Red Cell is given:
https://gamefowlsupplement.com/products/red-cell-100ml-vitamin-mineral-supplements

In the US, I would use Poultry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench 1 ml orally for each pound or Kg of weight.
Yes, i am in Norway. Thanks for reply! My rooster is very weak and is not interested in food. He just drinks water, and sits/lyies down and sleeps most of the day. I check on him every hour to see how he is doing, i am just super worried about him. He has a liquid poo as well. He just want to drink not eat. :( Hes crop seemed a little full from yesterdays food (wet bread). He is a very picky eater, but i dont want to force him too much, dont want to hurt him more.

What have you used to treat the mites with? I saw where you posted about Northern fowl mites on another thread. Mites are hard to deal with. They hatch every 5-7 days, and they need follow up treatment once weekly until gone. Also all coop bedding should be removed and the coop and roosts treated. If he is too weak to eat, I would learn to tube feed him. Do you have other chickens that are affected by the mites?

What have you used to treat the mites with? I saw where you posted about Northern fowl mites on another thread. Mites are hard to deal with. They hatch every 5-7 days, and they need follow up treatment once weekly until gone. Also all coop bedding should be removed and the coop and roosts treated. If he is too weak to eat, I would learn to tube feed him. Do you have other chickens that are affected by the mites?
My vet gave me a product called coopersect vet it was a spray that had a strong formula to kill the mites, i only had to spray twice. I dont know if it worked. I cant see any mites on him or anywhere else. No it was just him who got affected. Now he is very anemic due to bloodloss of them. I started to give him red cell in his water. I am sure that the mites are gone, i havent seen anything.

Did you empty out his bedding and treat the coop as well? We use permethrin here in the US, or a product with spinosad. Sulfur powder is good to use in the bedding if permethrin is not available. I hope that your rooster makes it. Here is a video of tube feeding basics:

Did you empty out his bedding and treat the coop as well? We use permethrin here in the US, or a product with spinosad. Sulfur powder is good to use in the bedding if permethrin is not available. I hope that your rooster makes it. Here is a video of tube feeding basics:
Yes, i complelty seperated him that coopersect product does have permethrin too. Thats a very informative video thanks for sharing. I dont have the tube itself but i do have a 20ml syringe. Hes crop does not feel empty. I am pretty sure hes not hungry because of that, he has been on bread. I also have a recovery formula, but hes not interested in any food right now. So i am focusing to keep him hydrated with some vitamins. It does looks super risky to tube feed :( I hope God grants him good health soon. I feel so helpless.

Oxygen tubing, aquarium air tubing, or some tubing from the hardware store can be connected to a regular syringe to tube feed liquids, raw egg, and yogurt. For food and baby parrot food, a larger tube with a catheter tip syringe, such as a baby goat feeder, can be used. Amazon sells the goat tubes and your vet may have some. There are many good videos and links to learn tube feeding. Here is a baby lamb/goat tube feeder:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J7PFV...5777&s=hpc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

Back
Top Bottom