(vegan being no protein or anything, just a pure grain diet or not providing proper food for them, like giving them no bugs, insect protein and just oatsl)
Vegan usually means no products that come from animals. It does NOT mean no protein.

Most plant products have some amount of protein. (That's how herbivores like cows can grow: they do need protein, but they get it from the plants they eat. Some kinds of animals digest certain plants more effectively than others.)

A lot of commercial chicken food is meat-free but still provides enough protein for the chickens. The manufacturers use a combination of grains and other plant products, usually including soybeans (which are higher in protein than most other commonly available plant products).

(I described this badly and its probably confusing
You could read through and and polish it up a bit before posting, if you have a hard time typing things clearly the first time.

Vegan usually means no products that come from animals. It does NOT mean no protein.

Most plant products have some amount of protein. (That's how herbivores like cows can grow: they do need protein, but they get it from the plants they eat. Some kinds of animals digest certain plants more effectively than others.)

A lot of commercial chicken food is meat-free but still provides enough protein for the chickens. The manufacturers use a combination of grains and other plant products, usually including soybeans (which are higher in protein than most other commonly available plant products).

You could read through and and polish it up a bit before posting, if you have a hard time typing things clearly the first time.
Yes, I said vegan because i didnt really know how to say no bugs and protien, so i thought that would do. Considering no bugs is technically vegan aswell? Vegan being no grubs, insects to, and that would be considered what vegan is. Because a vegan in real life is also that. (In my sense anyway)

i’ll probably edit it back later to clean it up. im a bit tired at the moment so not going to right now. sorry for all the typos in there.

i think them having not bugs isnt terrible, because theres other forms of protein . But it is genuinly needed because i see most people not freeranging their chickens (tottally fine as it is) and then giving them just grains. i think that is bad (as i see it anyway) because thats not giving them bugs (depending on how they dont freerange, some can still eat bugs) and thats just pure oats and such (im using oats as a example here) which is bad as i look at it.

Again, like i had said, i wasnt sure how to describe no bugs and little protein, so used vegan as the term for it because vegan humans dont eat bugs in real life (which bugs do give protein) im really tired, sorry for typos or jumbled words that make no sense.

Yes, i know. I said vegan because i didnt really know how to say no bugs and protien, so i thought that would do. Considering no bugs is technically vegan aswell? Vegan being no grubs, insects to, and that would be considered what vegan is. Because a vegan in real life is also that. (In my sense anyway)
My point is, all chickens foods DO have protein.

Grains DO have protein. (Not as much protein as a chicken needs, but definitely SOME protein. For many chicken foods, almost half the total protein comes from the grains.)

Soybeans have plenty of protein.

Almost every possible ingredient has SOME protein. (Exceptions: pure fat, pure sugar, vitamin/mineral supplements.)

i’ll probably edit it back later to clean it up. im a bit tired at the moment so not going to right now. sorry for all the typos in there.
In future, you could consider editing before you post-- just type it up and let it sit for a while, then come back later to clean it up and post it.

My point is, all chickens foods DO have protein.

Grains DO have protein. (Not as much protein as a chicken needs, but definitely SOME protein. For many chicken foods, almost half the total protein comes from the grains.)

Soybeans have plenty of protein.

Almost every possible ingredient has SOME protein. (Exceptions: pure fat, pure sugar, vitamin/mineral supplements.)

In future, you could consider editing before you post-- just type it up and let it sit for a while, then come back later to clean it up and post it.
Thats true! But for my example, i was talking about oats and barley (them being grains) i dont think giving them oats as their main source of food is good? Thats all im saying. I dont think feeding them one specific food for a long time is good. Or atleast thats not what i do. next time ill wait til its not so late to post. but again, i was just saying giving them something like oats for months on end isnt the healthiest, because as it does contain sources of vitamins, antioxidants and much more, the benefits for them long term might not be as amazing, they dont contain calcium, or viarities to mix things up. Thats just my thoughts though.

Thats true! But for my example, i was talking about oats and barley (them being grains) i dont think giving them oats as their main source of food is good?
I agree that oats by themselves are not a good chicken food.

That is because they have too little protein, and too little of certain vitamins, and too little of certain minerals.

But saying that oats or other grains have "no protein" is just plain wrong.

I agree that oats by themselves are not a good chicken food.

That is because they have too little protein, and too little of certain vitamins, and too little of certain minerals.

But saying that oats or other grains have "no protein" is just plain wrong.
I dont remember saying they had no protein (excuse me if i did.) i was trying to simply state that you shouldnt give things like that alone, and i used vegan as a way to describe non-bug protein and bugs itself. Sorry if i did.

I’d also mention that if you get store-bought rocks you should wash them with gentle dish soap like Dawn, rinse very very well, and let them sit in the sun to make sure that any weird coatings/chemicals applied are removed from the rock so the chicks don’t ingest them.

I’d also mention that if you get store-bought rocks you should wash them with gentle dish soap like Dawn, rinse very very well, and let them sit in the sun to make sure that any weird coatings/chemicals applied are removed from the rock so the chicks don’t ingest them.
Yes! I cant stress enough how good - bad rocks can be, they can have germs, be dirty, be sharp and be to small. In which case can be injested or carry germs. they must be carefully washed and cleaned and be a perfect size (not to mention being smooth so they cant hurt them!)

I dont remember saying they had no protein (excuse me if i did.) i was trying to simply state that you shouldnt give things like that alone, and i used vegan as a way to describe non-bug protein and bugs itself. Sorry if i did.
It looks like you have corrected it now, but your original words are quoted by me in post #11, and by yourself in post #10. Just scroll back up and have a look if you want to check.

Grain alone is not a good chicken diet: I agree.
Vegan is plants-only with no bugs or animal products: I agree.
But "vegan being no protein or anything, just a pure grain diet" was wrong.

You've got that bit fixed now :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom