Anyone else have cats obsessed with poultry?

DianeB

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Is it because they are large birds that walk around on two feet and make a lot of weird noises?

Is it because they feed into a cat's fantasy of bagging some really big game?

Our 5 year tabby has been fancinated by our chickens ever since we brought them home he is always hanging around them. Granted at first he wanted to eat them. But, after he was bit a few times, he has learned to respect them.

Now, we have a 4 month old kitten that from when we got her yesterday is always trying to figure them out. She is constantly looking for them, sniffing were they have been and so on. Luckily, the chickens have been polite and patient with her curiousity.

Even the neighborhood cats glare at them from behind the fence. (After a few altercations with our hens, they no longer come over.)

Poor cats!! They must be so fusterated. Here are some large juicy, birds that make them into lunch. LOL

DB

Our tabby will protect them from other cats. He was also concerned the other day when one of the chickens were sick. He just sat on the couch staring at her and at me like 'is she going to be okay?'

DB

HA HA

My cats aren't sure what to make of them either.

Dexter is like a pride lion. He's pretty much in charge. (In his own mind.)

The other day while the chickens were out he was laying among them.
He looked so pleased with himself. Till my rooster thought his tail looked like a yummy snack.

That was pretty funny.

My other cats keep a safe distance. But I'll still catch them stalking them from time to time.

I think one of the cats tried to get my one sebright. Cuz her tail was destroyed by something. But there haven't been any further incidents.
If Clovis is paying attention, he will put himself between a cat and his girls.

My cat Hooli, loves the ducks and geese. He is always trying to make friends, plopping himself down as close as he can and then crawling on his stomach inches at a time to get even closer.

Then when he's in a wild mood he tries to stalk them and run them back up by the pond. They usually see him. Then I see the disgusted cat look, ears flat, skulking off.
big_smile.png

I have 4 backyard chickens and 4 backyard cats. They usually ignore each other, unless there is catfood involved. The chickens always win that spat.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom