Apple trees - dwarf vs. semi-dwarf

So I just asked husband what kind of trees his dad has (E WA) and he surprised me by saying dwarf and semi dwarf!! So, his dad has over 100 apple trees - he LOVES apples. Here they are around 20-25 years old. You can see that pruning and the dwarf/semi dwarf rootstock keep them a manageable size.
View attachment 3732039
He is skilled at grafting, and has grafted most or all of his trees himself. He uses irrigation bc he lives in E WA, a high dry desert environment, but thanks to the Grand Coulee dam, E WA is produces much fruit and veg. WA apples come from E WA.

Funny enough, my husband also LOVES apples, loves to make huge pots of applesauce. But, did not want to grow apples himself. His reasoning is that apples travel well and are readily available. Whereas apricots, plums, Asian pears are harder to find in stores or ripe enough to be delicious. So, instead of apples, we have plums, apricots, peaches, nectarines, Asian pears, and persimmons (partly bc persimmon trees are attractive and they are near the front yard, so.a little curb appeal on the side of the house).
Wow! Great-looking orchard. Good to know he can grow so many off the dwarf and semi-dwarf sized trees. That size also looks very manageable for my yard. Although I do wonder about theft from deer...

I ended up putting in an order for a semi-dwarf Golden Delicious apple tree. I also have red currants and 2 types of gooseberry plants in the order. I'm really excited to hopefully have some fruit within the next few years. I grow a lot of veggies, but not much fruit yet.

Seedless concord grapes were also on sale and I almost bought a plant, but I think I'll be plenty busy with what I have.

Do you have Eastern Red Cedars near where you are planning on planting your apple trees? You may want to cut them down if you do, or be prepared to spray your trees to prevent cedar-apple rust. We have not had good success growing apple trees I think because of this fungus. :hmm

Do you have Eastern Red Cedars near where you are planning on planting your apple trees? You may want to cut them down if you do, or be prepared to spray your trees to prevent cedar-apple rust. We have not had good success growing apple trees I think because of this fungus. :hmm
Hmm. I'll have to check. I'll have to look into learning how to identify a red cedar. Thanks for this info.

Back
Top Bottom