Are Ayam Cemani Chickens Still in Demand?

Yes, I'm aware of this :) I was just considering breeding Ayam Cemanis for fun, like a hobby, and also to make at least some money from doing so.

I understand where you're coming from. My personal opinion would be to not look at what breed sells for the highest coin, but rather what breed you'd like to work with. Breeding birds of a certain quality and quantity takes time and space. IMO dedicating all your space to a breed you don't like as much is a break from chicken keeping waiting to happen. If you go with a breed you love, you are going to go into this with passion, and breed true high quality birds, people are bound to come looking for them. Credit is given where credit is due regardless of rarity

I understand where you're coming from. My personal opinion would be to not look at what breed sells for the highest coin, but rather what breed you'd like to work with. Breeding birds of a certain quality and quantity takes time and space. IMO dedicating all your space to a breed you don't like as much is a break from chicken keeping waiting to happen. If you go with a breed you love, you are going to go into this with passion, and breed true high quality birds, people are bound to come looking for them. Credit is given where credit is due regardless of rarity
This is a great post. I agree completely. Well said... đź‘Ť

If I could add to what @fluffycrow posted I would say also try to come up with a breed where you can also cross your culls to.
For instance...
I got Black Copper Marans (BCM's) cause I wanted them. Not for the fad that already past. Now the passion has hit, I'm learning about breeding for SOP (The Standard of Perfection) and dark eggs.
With that breeding you have your culls or birds you can't use for one reason or another.
I have 2 Roosters (always good to have spares) but one is a cull I can't use to breed.
But what I can and did do is got Barred Rocks (BR) and Easter Eggers (EE) set up for him.
That gives me my
BCM Roo x EE = Olive Eggers
BCM Roo x BR =Midnight Majesty Marans , ( sex links- Cockerels are Barred, Pullets are black)

Something to consider. 3 separate possibilty while still breeding your passion.

Edited to add... There is no breed standard for Olive Eggers and Midnight Majesty Marans so that keeps my focus on my Marans but I can also play with my Olive Eggers egg shade color.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom