Are chickens smart enough to avoid drafts?

Thanks for the reply. I could (move the bar), but I know that the more maintenance I have to remember to do, the less likely I am going to remember to do it. The more I can do to set up things that does not require additional work for me, the better.
You could always automate the bars and the windows. The same way you would add a Automatic Coop Door. Same for the roosting bars. Except that you can use a thermostat switch.

.., Are chickens smart enough to use the non-drafty roost during the winter, or will they still use both, leading to frostbite?
They will choose the higher roost even if it isn't in the cooler place in the summer or the warmer place in the winter. I suspect at least some will choose a roost where they can feel sheltered. Sometimes some of them want to push in close to another chicken. Sometimes some of them want to chase another off the roost entirely. Bottom line, there are enough variables that moving the roost is the best option.
Thanks for the reply. I could (move the bar), but I know that the more maintenance I have to remember to do, the less likely I am going to remember to do it. The more I can do to set up things that does not require additional work for me, the better.
Surely there is something twice a year that you could link it to on order to remember it. It would be very flexible in when.

It could be made less work by setting up a double bracket for each - a higher and lower setting.

Post pics of this roost and window.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-22 151351.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-22 151351.png
    2 MB · Views: 5
I don't have the roosts built yet, so see the pic below.
I wanted to give this suggestion earlier, with video but got sidetracked. So I rushed the video.

Now this I have not tried yet due to not having chickens right now and the new coop is on hold. I am sure it will do great tho.

The video below shows me trying to demonstrate how effective they are. What are "they"? They are the metal screens you look through to see your food in the microwave. Ur probably thinking, "WHAT?! WHY?!" Craigslist and facebook can be a good place to go and find broken microwaves. I find them all the time on the side of the road. I take them apart for the magnets, switches, cords and these here screens. I use them for many things that need filtering, like paint, rainwater collection and sand.

Now soon WIND. They are great since they are very tough so any critters cant rip them up. They are just the right size, for the small windows in coops. "Tinted", if you like that. A bird can get right up against it and preditors can't see them or get at them for that matter.

Best thing is they are already "framed". It would be very easy to mount and attach a linear actuator to automate the opening and closing. If you don't make the roosts retractable you may have a hard time reaching the window. Or you may have a copula that is too height to reach. Plus let's not forget rain and windy days where you don't wanna go out there.

If you want the regular hardware cloth windows and glass too, with these you have a third option.

The video shows the paper towel being blown without it. With it you can still see the paper towel moving. So there is air flow but not a harsh gust getting in.

Thinking about having a window near the chicken roost area to help with summertime cooling and could also stay open year-round for winter ventilation. I have enough room to have another roost in another area that would not be drafty during the winter. Are chickens smart enough to use the non-drafty roost during the winter, or will they still use both, leading to frostbite?
You figure out what ur gonna do?

Back
Top Bottom