Are these blood spots or embryo development?

Mburrows6653

Chirping
Jul 24, 2022
Hello!! I received an order of hatching eggs via the mail. I hatch a lot of my own birds, and have hatched some shipped eggs as well, so I’m pretty familiar with candling, checking for detached air cells, etc. After receiving this batch of eggs, I candled them and noticed “something” inside 1 and possibly a few others. I opened the first egg. Photo attached. To me, it appears to be an embryo. The breeder says no it’s a bloodspot.
I noticed 2 more eggs with the same thing, so I cracked them open as well after doing some research online and it saying that eggs with blood spots are much less likely to hatch. These eggs also had detached rolling air cells, so I figured they wouldn’t hatch anyway. Additional photos attached. I’m trying to get a consensus on whether these are early stage embryos or “blood spots” as breeder is indicating. Attached are the photos of 3 of 9 eggs shipped to me. Thank you for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_6374.jpeg
    IMG_6374.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6382.jpeg
    IMG_6382.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6396.jpeg
    IMG_6396.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6397.jpeg
    IMG_6397.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 20
Hello!! I received an order of hatching eggs via the mail. I hatch a lot of my own birds, and have hatched some shipped eggs as well, so I’m pretty familiar with candling, checking for detached air cells, etc. After receiving this batch of eggs, I candled them and noticed “something” inside 1 and possibly a few others. I opened the first egg. Photo attached. To me, it appears to be an embryo. The breeder says no it’s a bloodspot.
I noticed 2 more eggs with the same thing, so I cracked them open as well after doing some research online and it saying that eggs with blood spots are much less likely to hatch. These eggs also had detached rolling air cells, so I figured they wouldn’t hatch anyway. Additional photos attached. I’m trying to get a consensus on whether these are early stage embryos or “blood spots” as breeder is indicating. Attached are the photos of 3 of 9 eggs shipped to me. Thank you for your input!
they last one looks like it is a developed egg.

Are shipped eggs generally packed that way?
Do you mean in the way of not being candled and sent that way? I’m not sure. I’ve never received any this way before.. so, that’s also part of the reason I’m asking. I sell eggs for eating and candle every egg before packing it up checking for cracks and stuff.. I have received shipped eggs cracked at the base where it falls out of the vent and hits the ground.. but not necessarily visible without it being candled. So I’m curious if maybe sellers just don’t care and ship anything that’s laid (quantity over quality). I sent the first egg pics to the seller and the response was kind of.. “well that’s why I send extra eggs”
After I found the 2nd and 3rd bloodspot eggs this morning after resting the eggs 12 hours due to loose air cells, I chose to crack those open as well mostly because both air cells were completely detached and rolling around the egg even after resting for 12 hours, so the chances of either of them hatching with air cells that way was very unlikely; so I sent the photos, and this time I was told to let them know how the hatch goes, and that they’d be willing to send new eggs at my shipping expense if it’s a poor hatch. Now, if these were dark eggs, and these spots were not visible via candling, I’d totally understand. But they’re very easily candled and blue/green eggs.
The packaging for the shipping was very good. The eggs were neatly wrapped and tightly packed. Nothing was broken or damaged, so the air cell thing is most likely USPS travel/handling.
Anyway, just thought I’d ask in the forum for some other opinions and thoughts! ❤️ thank you.

they last one looks like it is a developed egg.
So, I originally thought the first egg was for sure developing (huge blood spot one) and I tried to dissect it a bit. Still not 100% but it really looked like a day 5/6 embryo development. I couldn’t necessarily identify an “eye” but it has me wondering. None of the 3 eggs had a blood ring like you would see in a “quitter” egg. This is one reason why I’m thinking they could be blood spots. But in that last photo, like you mentioned, it does appear there are veins there 🤷🏻‍♀️
Thanks for your input.

There are several ways to pack eggs for shipping. That way pictured I'd heard of but haven't used it and never received any like that either. It looks safe though and I know many do it that way. Want some other ideas or were you just curious?
just curious because, IMO, it looks sloppy.

Back
Top Bottom