Ascites disappearing?!

Kawkawkaye

Songster
Nov 23, 2017
Kimberley, Western Australia
Hen in question is 2 years old, isa brown. Otherwise healthy, eating drinking fine.

For several months my hen has had fluid accumulating in her abdomen. I got the vet to drain it and the fluid was a dark green, but not chunky. With the fluid removed I was able to feel a mass, about the size of a golfball, in the right side of her abdomen. Everything points to a tumour, as far as I can tell.

It’s been two months since then and the fluid has been steadily coming back, and I decided to try draining it myself, with the vet’s advice. I got a very little amount out before my hen got restless, so I decided to call it quits as I wasn’t confident handling her squirming on my own. I monitored her until the needle hole had stopped leaking (it let out a few drips), cleaned her up, and put her back with her mates.

Decided I’d feel a lot better with the vets handling her. Appointment is this Tuesday.

Two days after my failed attempt, the fluid is disappearing. 100%, there is less fluid in her abdomen right now. Still some, certainly, but nowhere near as much as the day before. She’s gone from a firm, solid bottom to a squishy sack bottom. Any theories on where the fluid has gone?

The needle site has a white pimple-like speck, like she may be fighting infection there? I’m not sure if an infection is capable of affecting the fluid. The area is dry, also.
Her poops are runny, but it’s very hot and they’re not any runnier than anybody else’s. The liquid in her poos is slightly yellow, so I’m not convinced that she’s somehow excreting the tumour fluid.
Otherwise she’s in great health. Usually my indicator of when she really needs a drain is when her comb starts to droop or go purple. Since my failed draining attempt her comb has regained its usual vibrant colour.

I’m really confused, I’ll be honest xD. Any theories?

Hen in question is 2 years old, isa brown. Otherwise healthy, eating drinking fine.

For several months my hen has had fluid accumulating in her abdomen. I got the vet to drain it and the fluid was a dark green, but not chunky. With the fluid removed I was able to feel a mass, about the size of a golfball, in the right side of her abdomen. Everything points to a tumour, as far as I can tell.

It’s been two months since then and the fluid has been steadily coming back, and I decided to try draining it myself, with the vet’s advice. I got a very little amount out before my hen got restless, so I decided to call it quits as I wasn’t confident handling her squirming on my own. I monitored her until the needle hole had stopped leaking (it let out a few drips), cleaned her up, and put her back with her mates.

Decided I’d feel a lot better with the vets handling her. Appointment is this Tuesday.

Two days after my failed attempt, the fluid is disappearing. 100%, there is less fluid in her abdomen right now. Still some, certainly, but nowhere near as much as the day before. She’s gone from a firm, solid bottom to a squishy sack bottom. Any theories on where the fluid has gone?

The needle site has a white pimple-like speck, like she may be fighting infection there? I’m not sure if an infection is capable of affecting the fluid. The area is dry, also.
Her poops are runny, but it’s very hot and they’re not any runnier than anybody else’s. The liquid in her poos is slightly yellow, so I’m not convinced that she’s somehow excreting the tumour fluid.
Otherwise she’s in great health. Usually my indicator of when she really needs a drain is when her comb starts to droop or go purple. Since my failed draining attempt her comb has regained its usual vibrant colour.

I’m really confused, I’ll be honest xD. Any theories?
Sorry no one replied. I wish I had more experience to help.

I had this happen with a hen of mine a few years ago, before I understood what the issue was, and/or how to treat it. She got so swollen, that she couldn't hardly walk, and had so much trouble trying to get up to the roost. It was really sad. I had decided to let her ailment play out, and after about a week, it seemed that the swelling went down, and eventually totally disappeared. She lived another 9 months before succumbing to something that was probably related. That said, when she died, she did not have swelling from ascites.

I had this happen with a hen of mine a few years ago, before I understood what the issue was, and/or how to treat it. She got so swollen, that she couldn't hardly walk, and had so much trouble trying to get up to the roost. It was really sad. I had decided to let her ailment play out, and after about a week, it seemed that the swelling went down, and eventually totally disappeared. She lived another 9 months before succumbing to something that was probably related. That said, when she died, she did not have swelling from ascites.
I hope that's the case for my hen.

I wonder if her hole was weeping the fluid out. Sounds like it may have been infected and hope you took care of that. Well, that was many months ago. Do you have an update?
I have a almost 5yo with ascites. I caught it a few months ago and was pondering the drain. Treater her with antibiotics as she also seemed to be having repro issues. She leveled out, went through a mild molt and I thought maybe I had misdiagnosed except a few weeks ago I picked up the shy girl and noticed she was still a little bottom heavy. Fast forward to yesterday and I see she has started to waddle. Last night she was tucked into a nest box.
I had gotten home after sunset and I let her be. I'm thinking it may be time to drain her... 😕

I wonder if her hole was weeping the fluid out. Sounds like it may have been infected and hope you took care of that. Well, that was many months ago. Do you have an update?
I have a almost 5yo with ascites. I caught it a few months ago and was pondering the drain. Treater her with antibiotics as she also seemed to be having repro issues. She leveled out, went through a mild molt and I thought maybe I had misdiagnosed except a few weeks ago I picked up the shy girl and noticed she was still a little bottom heavy. Fast forward to yesterday and I see she has started to waddle. Last night she was tucked into a nest box.
I had gotten home after sunset and I let her be. I'm thinking it may be time to drain her... 😕
Hopefully the original OP will reply. I would try to drain her, but use antiseptic and a sterile needle to try and prevent introducing infection. Draining is only a temporary relief, for pressure, pain, or labored breathing. Note the color and if it is clear or cloudy. Usually the color is yellow, amber, or greenish, but if it is clear and colorless, it is not ascites. Conditions that lead to ascites are cancer, internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, liver disease, or heart failure. When I have done a necropsy on hens I have lost, I have found ascites when opening the abdominal wall about 1/3 of the time.

Hopefully the original OP will reply. I would try to drain her, but use antiseptic and a sterile needle to try and prevent introducing infection. Draining is only a temporary relief, for pressure, pain, or labored breathing. Note the color and if it is clear or cloudy. Usually the color is yellow, amber, or greenish, but if it is clear and colorless, it is not ascites. Conditions that lead to ascites are cancer, internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, liver disease, or heart failure. When I have done a necropsy on hens I have lost, I have found ascites when opening the abdominal wall about 1/3 of the time.
Thanks for the response! Yeah trying to muster the knowledge and courage to do what needs to be done. Thank you for your input ♡ I may seek you out later if needed and thank you for all you do ♡♡♡!

Here is a good thread (post 42) with pictures of draining a hen with an 18 gauge sterile hypodermic needle from the feed store. You can use a large syringe, or let it drain on it’s own. When removing the needle, it may continue to drip for a few hours. A clean towel or puppy would be good to place the chicken on for that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5
Thank you! I saved it and will use as reference. 👍👍👍

Back
Top Bottom