Baby button quail

stance54

Hatching
Apr 4, 2024
Someone gave my son 5 button quail eggs, so we incubated them and of the 5 only 2 hatched.

Today is 5 days since being born.

We kept the two in the incubator for 2 days hoping the others would hatch.

The first egg that zipped did not hatch and died.

The first one that was born he was very active, when the second one hatched he almost seemed to "bully" the younger one but very playful. Both of them only sat on the one egg that zipped and not the other two that did not hatch at all (there was no embryo in those two).

The second born always seemed to want to sleep and hide and the first born very playful.

We put them in brooder and bought heating lamp, feed etc. But then last night the very active one was laying on his back almost looked like he hurt his neck as he was laying funny.

The usually quiet second born was now the most active one. It was as if they swapped bodies.

We fed the one feed with a dropper (I made it into mush porridge consistency and boiled yolks as well) to see if we could help it. I kept him in the brooder but separated him from the other one as I feared he was going interfere with him. He didn't look good at all. hardly moving. Second born just kept tapping on the container separating the two of them. could tell he missed him or wanted to play or something. Woke up this morning and the oldest one had died :(
now we left with one quail and I read they cannot be alone. But what do I do with him now? Can I take him back to his mothers nest? Will she welcome it?
Any other ideas? I am in Cape Town so I don't think there are many quail breeders here as I struggled to even find high protein feed in pet stores.

I would try to see if the mother will accept the chick. If not, you're going to have to give it a lot of attention. A mirror and a small stuffed animal may help.

Back
Top Bottom