Baby Chick Leg Issue

Copper9Miko1

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2022
So I three weeks ago hatched out a batch of chicks from my flocks eggs, Everything when fine until week two when one of my Australop chick has a bad walk assumed it was Splayed/Spraddle Leg like one of my chicks had the year before. So my mom and me tried rubber bands but those weren't seeming to help cause of rising up so then we moved onto band aid but the chick kept pecking it off but was walking a bit better. I didn't know what to do cause the chick would peck them off like every 5-10 minutes so I left them off since i didn't wanna waste band aids. One of the last time I put on a band aid i saw something weird when holding the chick she had a normal leg but her other leg was turned at the hip/ up thigh couldn't tell and I don't know what to do or how to help it's been a day or two of me worrying and searching the internet I still make sure she gets water and food she's also the runt it seems like so if anyone as any suggestions.

We don't have a vet for chickens to my knowledge around here and whenever I looked it up on the internet splayed/saddle leg comes up I dont know if the broke it or what but its an issues I have no idea how tot fix, I can try to get a picture but I don't know when

Last edited:
Can we see some pictures?
Here they're also didn't realize how bad her feet and belly are feet are raw and bleeding a bit assuming I wash her in warm water and keep dry? Haven't look at her for the last 2 days this closely if more photos are needed let me know

Attachments

• 20230516_095111.jpg
    20230516_095111.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230516_095106.jpg
    20230516_095106.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 5
Another update got some water and food into her and we had some babies hatch out the other day and we spilt the brooder up the bigger part going to the 3 weeks olds and the 2 day olds in a smaller part since they wont be running around for while. We introduced them while cleaning up the brooder. The got along great and Wobbles ( i know terrible name for the chicken with a leg issue) never pecked at them would just move away if they swarmed her at first.

Well i just checked cause i heard on of the chicks chirping thought Wobbles had pecked one of them or hurt them. Well i looked in thinking the worse only to see Wobbles in the middle surrounded by chicks cuddling up to her and trying to hide under her like they would a mother hen. She's such a good big sister teaching them how to eat and drink even if she has her leg issue.

Also for the reason we put her with the babies her flock mates were trampling her a bit and she wasn't able to eat or drink as well so we thought we tried this, and she's doing great so yeah she all better except for her leg being bent at where would be our elbow or knee on us humans so yeah but this has turned my day around and given me a bit more hope

Another update got some water and food into her and we had some babies hatch out the other day and we spilt the brooder up the bigger part going to the 3 weeks olds and the 2 day olds in a smaller part since they wont be running around for while. We introduced them while cleaning up the brooder. The got along great and Wobbles ( i know terrible name for the chicken with a leg issue) never pecked at them would just move away if they swarmed her at first.

Well i just checked cause i heard on of the chicks chirping thought Wobbles had pecked one of them or hurt them. Well i looked in thinking the worse only to see Wobbles in the middle surrounded by chicks cuddling up to her and trying to hide under her like they would a mother hen. She's such a good big sister teaching them how to eat and drink even if she has her leg issue.

Also for the reason we put her with the babies her flock mates were trampling her a bit and she wasn't able to eat or drink as well so we thought we tried this, and she's doing great so yeah she all better except for her leg being bent at where would be our elbow or knee on us humans so yeah but this has turned my day around and given me a bit more hope
Well done!

Back
Top Bottom