Baby Hatched With Full Assist And Has Leg Issue/Can’t Walk

NorthernMIFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jun 25, 2018
Northern MI
So I just hatched out 7 barnyard mix chicks in an incubator for the first time. 6 hatched easily on day 21, one had pipped day 20 (Monday) and was still stuck with no progress this morning. I made the decision to go all in and get him out of the egg. He was in rough shape so I left him in the incubator for an hour and when I came back he had moved and was attempting to walk. Pic is of him an hour after hatch. Unfortunately his right foot either has a genetic deformity or it was severely mal-positioned in the egg and it won’t straighten out and he is unable to walk. He scoots on his hock to move and that foot is also smaller and somewhat curled in. He is active and curious and has taken egg yolk and Nutri-drench readily. I have tried to help him straighten it gently and vet wrap it but he screams like it really hurts. His 6 siblings went with my broody hen and I know he can’t be with them, she has them in the chicken run already today and he would never keep up. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? Any hope that his leg will come around? I feel torn because the longer he stays with me, the harder it will be to integrate him with his family. I absolutely dread the thought of having to cull him, feeling like the reason he couldn’t zip was due to the leg and yet I intervened 🙁. I guess I’m just venting and would love to hear a positive outcome if anyone has one. Thx for listening

Attachments

• 147D073F-2A7E-44F9-BD75-B84592B755FA.jpeg
    147D073F-2A7E-44F9-BD75-B84592B755FA.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 44
So I just hatched out 7 barnyard mix chicks in an incubator for the first time. 6 hatched easily on day 21, one had pipped day 20 (Monday) and was still stuck with no progress this morning. I made the decision to go all in and get him out of the egg. He was in rough shape so I left him in the incubator for an hour and when I came back he had moved and was attempting to walk. Pic is of him an hour after hatch. Unfortunately his right foot either has a genetic deformity or it was severely mal-positioned in the egg and it won’t straighten out and he is unable to walk. He scoots on his hock to move and that foot is also smaller and somewhat curled in. He is active and curious and has taken egg yolk and Nutri-drench readily. I have tried to help him straighten it gently and vet wrap it but he screams like it really hurts. His 6 siblings went with my broody hen and I know he can’t be with them, she has them in the chicken run already today and he would never keep up. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? Any hope that his leg will come around? I feel torn because the longer he stays with me, the harder it will be to integrate him with his family. I absolutely dread the thought of having to cull him, feeling like the reason he couldn’t zip was due to the leg and yet I intervened 🙁. I guess I’m just venting and would love to hear a positive outcome if anyone has one. Thx for listening
Wow, I hope he does good. Half was through I thought "oh no they might need to cull this one" but if he is able to eat and drink fine, I'd say to do what you do when a chicks has curled toes. I do know some great tips on fixing curled toes if you'd think it would help?

Yes we’re leaning towards culling now, zero improvement all day and I know this little one won’t be able to compete for food and water. I tried a little boot today but the leg won’t straighten enough for it to put down. My hubby thought to give it to the momma but I think that’s cruel too :( tough no matter what

Back
Top Bottom