Bantam Cochin Hens won't Breed

Jul 25, 2022
I paired 2 two year old blue laced bantam Cochins (with a smidgen of partridge silkie)with a one year old frizzled blue silkie rooster (along with 3 silkie hens) and 2 one year old bantam Cochins (Cuckoo and Golden Laced) paired with a two year old red partridge Satin rooster (along with 2 satins and 4 silkie hens). All of the Satin and Silkie hens are fertilized. I only witnessed 1 cochin sit for the roosters. The Satin rooster on a rare occassion danced for and pecked the head of the Cuckoo Cochin, and then walked away after she sat for him. I recently introduced a 1 year old frizzled black bantam Cochin that dances for the Cochins without mounting them. So far most of the Cochins ignore him or run from him. The Cuckoo Cochin actually attacked him. She prefers to follow the Satin, but they never mate. I see proof in the unfertilized eggs. I even tried a breeding cage with food at one end for the Satin and Cuckoo Cochin. He never mounted her. How can I encourage them to breed? Four out of 13 of my bantam hens are Cochins.

Attachments

• Sweet & Peep.jpg
    Sweet & Peep.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Shy Earl.jpg
    Shy Earl.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Chicken Little.jpg
    Chicken Little.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 6
Some Bantam roosters seem to just favor a hen or two. It's just easier for them. I'd give the new Frizzle some time. He has to earn the hens respect, and be confident to mate. Older roosters will often interfere with that.

How long were the pair's kept separately? I'd probably keep them separately at least a month so they form a bond.

The red Satin has been with 2 of his hens for 1 year and 2 other hens for 2 months. The two 9-month old bantam Cochins I integrated 3-months ago. He has been with his sister and another Silkie for 2 years. It could be that a total of 8 hens may be a bit much for him. He breeds with all 4 Silkies and 2 Satins. Everyone except for the 9-month old Bantam Cochins. I saw the whole process take place with a Cochin in his flock (e.g., dancing, pecking the head, squatting). He walked away after she squatted.

The blue frizzled Silkie mainly mates with a white silkie. He will mate with the other silkies in his flock, but will not touch the two 2.5-year old bantam cochins. The frizzled Silkie has been with the same 5 hens for 1 year. He replaced a frizzled Satin rooster that passed one month before I purchased him. The frizzled Satin rooster before the frizzled Silkie mated with all of his hens.

The new frizzled Cochin isn't respected by the Cochin hens yet. I am keeping the other roosters in their pens, while allowing the Cochins to free range with the new roo. So far two of the hens chased him away. Three out 4 of the Cochin hens are laying and all them remain unfertilized.

Is the issue that the roosters are tired of the Cochins "playing hard to get"? Is it a preference for a particular breed?

Last edited:
Is the issue that the roosters are tired of the Cochins "playing hard to get"? Is it a preference for a particular breed?
Some Bantam roosters aren't willing to make too much effort to mate with hens if they already have easier hens. My experiences are with the breed of bantam cochins. My Bantam EE don't have that problem. Bantam cochins roosters seem to do better with 3-5 hens, and can be set in their ways. You may need to just wait longer, or try a different rooster.

Some Bantam roosters aren't willing to make too much effort to mate with hens if they already have easier hens. My experiences are with the breed of bantam cochins. My Bantam EE don't have that problem. Bantam cochins roosters seem to do better with 3-5 hens, and can be set in their ways. You may need to just wait longer, or try a different rooster.
I think it is an issue when the males are flightless. I noticed my Alpha red Smooth Satin (mixed with partridge Cochin and black silkie) can jump a little higher than my frizzled silkie and frizzled Cochin roosters. Even he will only peck the Cochins on the head to show dominance. He really loves to peck the dominate 9-month old cuckoo cochin on the head. She’s the only hen that will chase the frizzled Cochin rooster. My loner silkie hen will be mounted by all of the roosters during free range time. She isn’t claimed by any one rooster and easy to mount. Actually she’s the only hen that the frizzle Cochin rooster will mount. I should have considered the ability to fly when I picked up a cochin rooster.

Attachments

• 97A72D18-7E88-4322-B544-CBD8C441722B.jpeg
    97A72D18-7E88-4322-B544-CBD8C441722B.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2435.jpeg
    943.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom