Banty and standard

Citychick

Songster
12 Years
Jan 31, 2007
I have a few banty and stadard chicks about a week apart in age. Can I put them in the same brooder now that they are all active. I have had play time with all of them together and there is some pecking and posturing. It dosn't seem to bad. Will they get used to each other and get along or not? Two of the bantys are roos. They will have to find a new home soon but the other is a pullet and very sweet I would like to keep her if possible with the others. Thanks

My friend Freebie has sucessfully kept bantams and full size birds together for a year now. The bantams were kept in a cage for awhile inside the coop. At the time she had a plymouth barred rock rooster and 2 barred rock hens(they were raised together as chicks). The bantams were millie fleur hens. There was some pecking issues going on but after awhile everyone got along. She added more full size birds later(they were older chicks). There was plenty of room in the coop and the bantams being smaller were more agile and could fly. They free range now and everyone seems to get along. I don't think full size roosters and banty roosters would get along tho.

Thanks! I really want to keep my banty pullet. She is so sweet. And we won't get to keep any of our roo's. Which unfortunatelly was most of my hatch. So I will just have to see how things go. But when they get outside and have more room hopefully everyone can get along.

My concern and the reason I don't keep bantams and standards together is because of the size difference. A standard rooster can injure or worse kill a banty hen if he tries to mate her.

You said you are not going to keep any roosters, so you should be OK if all the hens get along. If you haven't gotten rid of the roos before they reach sexual maturity watch them around the little hen. Roos are also know to gang up on a hen to mate.

Here is an example of size between my young Marans roo and porcelain d'uccle hen. I separated them shortly thereafter.

PearlBarney.jpg

I find my standard birds leave the banties alone. I even had a little silkie boy handling a dozen standard hens once! It was hilarious. But for safety and if you are concerned, you can seperate them. Depends on the birds and the room they have.

I've had five chicks for about a week and I wanted all bantams but they wern't sexed like some of the standards. So I got four mixed breed bantams (hoping most are pullets) and then one standard pullet. That one is HUGE compared to my smallest of the same age. It's funny, they are always together. That small one follows the standard around and she doesn't seem to mind. She CAN get aggressive with the others but it's so sweet to watch the odd pair. I hope it stays this way.

Back
Top Bottom