Baytril dosage for ducks with bumblefoot

Pics
I took a look at the other thread. I have never seen a shiny egg. It is possible that egg white got the egg. It could potentially make the egg look shiny. Was the shell good quality or thin?
The egg was shiny BEFORE I blew it out. That is how it looked right out of the coop, even after I washed it. The shell is regular thickness. It’s pretty….but strange. i just got home from TSC. I’m gonna give a first dose of the calcium gluconate. Still no egg. She doesn’t seem to be in distress, and somehow they got past my pond barrier while I was grocery shopping and snuck in. So she just had a soak (albeit NOT warm like bath water).

The egg was shiny BEFORE I blew it out. That is how it looked right out of the coop, even after I washed it. The shell is regular thickness. It’s pretty….but strange. i just got home from TSC. I’m gonna give a first dose of the calcium gluconate. Still no egg. She doesn’t seem to be in distress, and somehow they got past my pond barrier while I was grocery shopping and snuck in. So she just had a soak (albeit NOT warm like bath water).
Yeah. I was thinking the shininess may have come from another broken egg. Kind of like how eggs are used to make a glaze on some food.

She may have also laid the egg in the pond. I have found eggs at the bottom of their kiddie pools before. Usually soft shelled ones. So they are sometimes smart enough to know the water will help them pass the egg.

They can also cycle through trying to lay and being distressed to going back to normal. Keep an eye out for it. It could be she was just hot. Pekins do easily get hot when most don't.

Yeah. I was thinking the shininess may have come from another broken egg. Kind of like how eggs are used to make a glaze on some food.

She may have also laid the egg in the pond. I have found eggs at the bottom of their kiddie pools before. Usually soft shelled ones. So they are sometimes smart enough to know the water will help them pass the egg.

They can also cycle through trying to lay and being distressed to going back to normal. Keep an eye out for it. It could be she was just hot. Pekins do easily get hot when most don't.
Thank you. Yes, I knew what you meant about possible egg white getting on it. But hers was the only egg yesterday. And it doesn’t wash off. I will keep an eye out, but I have a feeling she was trying to lay an egg because she made an indent in the dirt and laid there for about 10 minutes twice. It looks like a bowl shaped indentation in the ground. Usually these two lay in the coop. For whatever reason, a few days ago they started laying any old place on the ground. Hoping I find one tomorrow morning. I feel like this is the last thing I need. I’m wondering if the Baytril can cause egg laying issues… or maybe just the stress of the bumblefoot infection, the heat, me limiting her time in the pond…. Who knows! But the shiny egg yesterday just adds to the mystery. 🫤

You sure had this one right! I gave her two doses of the calcium gluconate yesterday, and went to bed feeling very worried what I would find in the morning. This morning, still no egg, but she wasn’t acting sick or distressed. I let them in the pond for their morning swim, and came out with my cereal and tea. Looked in the pond, and I’m sure you know what I found at the bottom! 😂

Also, look at her foot as of this morning!

Attachments

• AE99B909-05DE-419D-84F4-F9F1295D63A9.jpeg
    AE99B909-05DE-419D-84F4-F9F1295D63A9.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 4
  • 7E7AB14A-FCA4-4513-9269-5DFFF00A99DD.jpeg
    7E7AB14A-FCA4-4513-9269-5DFFF00A99DD.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 4
You sure had this one right! I gave her two doses of the calcium gluconate yesterday, and went to bed feeling very worried what I would find in the morning. This morning, still no egg, but she wasn’t acting sick or distressed. I let them in the pond for their morning swim, and came out with my cereal and tea. Looked in the pond, and I’m sure you know what I found at the bottom! 😂

Also, look at her foot as of this morning!
😂 Smart girl. That is good that she is doing better today. Her foot is looking really good. It is healing really well.

@joesandy1822 Hey hows your duck doing? Is she still having soft shell eggs? How'd her bumble turn out. Hope everything is on the mend!
Hi there, and thanks for asking! Actually, she never did have soft shelled eggs. She just had a bit of straining and difficulty passing an egg for a couple days. I supplemented with extra calcium and the problem resolved itself.

We got one bumble completely healed up, and then we started on her other foot since she had one there too. Unfortunately, the scabs just keep returning. She is a jumbo Pekin, and from what knowledge I’ve gleaned from others here, it is common for the scabs to reappear on heavy weight birds. There are no other concerning symptoms, and since she had been on Baytril with the initial infection, I’m pretty confident there is no internal, or active infection. So right now, I’m basically just putting iodine on both scabs once a day. I’m not soaking, dressing, wrapping, or using her shoes, etc. That took a tremendous effort and lots and lots of time daily for MONTHS, and for the scabs to just come back? Not sustainable for me and my family, and that’s no life for the duck (IMO). If I notice swelling, limping, or any other concerning symptom, I’ll have to re-evaluate at that point. But for now, she’s a happy duck. 🥰🦆

*I’m adding this last note because this morning I noticed she somehow pulled one of the scabs off. The tissue underneath looks pink and healthy.*

Back
Top Bottom