CharlieBaby

Chirping
Jun 23, 2020
I have a sick bird in need of Baytril (enrofloxacin), and I need help determining the correct measurements. I purchased "Enrofloxacin 10% Powder." The packaging includes instructions for administering the drug in drinking water, but because my chicken is not drinking much and the taste of Baytril further discourages drinking, I need to syringe feed the medicine. My plan is to determine the correct powder dose and then add a small amount of water to the powder so it can be administered orally via syringe.

Here are the figures:
  • Chicken is 4 lb
  • Single dose is 10 mg Baytril/kg (4.54 mg Baytril/lb)
  • Product is "Enrofloxacin 10% Powder"
And here are my questions:
  1. The packaging says, "Contains: 10g of Enrofloxacin per 100g" (pic attached). Does this mean that 10% of the powder is the active ingredient enrofloxacin and the other 90% is filler?
  2. The packaging also says, "Dosage: 1 Teaspoon (5 grams) per 1 gallon of drinking water for 5-7 consecutive days." If mixed as directed, would this mean the gallon of water would have only .5 grams of active ingredient enrofloxacin?
  3. Assuming points 1 and 2 are true, I think I need .036 tsp of enrofloxacin powder per dose for my chicken (calculations attached). I will administer two doses per day for five days. Does this calculation seem correct?
  4. Any tips or tricks for working with such a small amount of powdered medicine?
Please no comments about enrofloxacin (Baytril) being prohibited; I am aware of this.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2622.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 5
I had to do some digging bc i needed this too. This is an answer I got from my FB chicken group friend.

**Dosage is 10mg per kg. The label says it's 10mg per 100mg of powder.

So 100mg of that powder per kg of bird.**

For a 4lb chicken looks like 181 mg twice a day. Check my math on above. My brain and math don't always like eachother lol.

Do you have empty gel caps? Those are so easy to pill a chicken with. I'm always worried about liquids and it's so messy.

Thanks, @chickdiane10! It looks like we both got the same number, 181 mg AKA .036 tsp of powder per dose for a 4 lb chicken. That's reassuring. :highfive:

Because .036 tsp is a tiny amount to measure, I made a solution at a X10 ratio and then administered 10% of the mixture to my hen. In other words, I added .36 tsp (roughly 3/8 tsp) to 10 ml of water, then syringe fed my hen 1 ml of the solution (which got me back to the .036 tsp). I may try gel caps in the future; thanks for the idea.

Math isn't my strong point, but I had a math teacher at the school where I work review my calculations and give them the green light. Seeing you get the same answer is another good sign.

Best of luck to anyone reading this, now or in the future, who is helping a sick chicken. In case it's helpful, I'll share that I got my "Enrofloxacin 10% Powder" (Baytril) from JEDDS Bird Supply. They also sell the liquid formula. There are several posts on here from people more knowledgable than me about dosing and administering medications. Here are a few:

Thanks, @chickdiane10! It looks like we both got the same number, 181 mg AKA .036 tsp of powder per dose for a 4 lb chicken. That's reassuring. :highfive:

Because .036 tsp is a tiny amount to measure, I made a solution at a X10 ratio and then administered 10% of the mixture to my hen. In other words, I added .36 tsp (roughly 3/8 tsp) to 10 ml of water, then syringe fed my hen 1 ml of the solution (which got me back to the .036 tsp). I may try gel caps in the future; thanks for the idea.

Math isn't my strong point, but I had a math teacher at the school where I work review my calculations and give them the green light. Seeing you get the same answer is another good sign.

Best of luck to anyone reading this, now or in the future, who is helping a sick chicken. In case it's helpful, I'll share that I got my "Enrofloxacin 10% Powder" (Baytril) from JEDDS Bird Supply. They also sell the liquid formula. There are several posts on here from people more knowledgable than me about dosing and administering medications. Here are a few:
I have a little mg scale from Temu. And gelcaps Amazon. I get the ones that hold essential oil and it's what I use for meds...like wormer or whatever is best to direct dose. Plus the tiny syringes.
But yes the math, forever my weakness. I always second guess lol. I did college algebra and called myself done lol. But that was sooooo many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom