Best thermometer? Hygrometer?

Jada22

Songster
Feb 24, 2022
**I’m looking for a thermometer that’s accurate and easy to calibrate. Something reliable.
Also recommendations on a hygrometer would be great**

Long post ahead if anyone feels like reading and has any advice.
I like to have a record of all this anyway.
Every thermometer I use is giving me different results.
I took the thermometer off my brinsea- first reading at egg level was 35c which made me panic- put in a digital thermometer the same level as the brinsea thermometer and got a reading of 36.8.
Set the digital thermometer lower other side of incubator and got a reading of 34.5 brinsea thermometer is now reading at around 37.
I have a third thermometer- when calibrated in ice water it read 3 degrees (rather than 0) this one is showing temps of just under 40.
Should I be concerned? The incubator itself is 37.5 but I don’t fully trust it. I’ve done 2 hatches in this incubator both with bad hatch rates unsure if the incubator played a part in this

First bad hatch I set 16 eggs - these were shipped and most had saddled air sacs so I wasn’t expecting much- 2 chicks hatched (one with wry neck) 4 quitters and the rest never started.
Second bad hatch I set 24 eggs (bought from someone local) and 6 chicks hatched. 1 additional egg started but was an early quitter the others never started.

Attachments

• E4EACB9C-DD3B-4304-853E-9E81C8232B71.jpeg
    E4EACB9C-DD3B-4304-853E-9E81C8232B71.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 5D99CD72-3AFF-4680-BD6E-C41D2F8588AB.jpeg
    5D99CD72-3AFF-4680-BD6E-C41D2F8588AB.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 17
  • BE93AA8C-4F01-4711-86AC-A22629BFEEBD.jpeg
    BE93AA8C-4F01-4711-86AC-A22629BFEEBD.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 21
I use a Zilla reptile temperature controller to verify my incubator temp in my NurtureRight 360 and to control my homemade still air incubator. I hook my reptile heating strip (or could use a ceramic heat emitter bulb) up to it and it controls the temperature very well.

Also for my brooders I like the meat thermometers. Those should get you within 1 degree I think and are easy to calibrate.

For humidity, I use AcuRite from Walmart. One of the most accurate out there, but should always be calibrated/checked for calibration before you. You can do the salt test for the hygrometer and the freezing boiling water for the temperature gage. Adjust the dial gage to zero it with pliers by twisting the nut at the joint of the dial gage and the stick.

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-100540541-Digital-Temperature-Controller/dp/B08PC8NSB1

https://www.amazon.com/CDN-IRL220-Large-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B000095RBP?th=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-.../16888914?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

I love my Govees and the max/min records they provide in particular.
I like the ones with the onboard read-outs. I've bought them in three packs for aboutThirty-ish dollars. These have proven to be very accurate and reliable.
It turns out my digital incubators lie to me constantly. ;-) :)
71OrKOfVdhL._SY500_.jpg

K :)

Last edited:
I love my Govees and the max/min records they provide in particular.
I like the ones with the onboard read-outs. I've bought them in three packs for aboutThirty-ish dollars. These have proven to be very accurate and reliable.
It turns out my digital incubators lie to me constantly. ;-) :)
.View attachment 3422543

K :)
Curious what you are using that in and how long you've been using them? Did you have an improvement in hatch rate after you started using them?

Back
Top Bottom