Bla Hona (Swedish Blue Hen) Chicken

AGeese

Crowing
Jan 6, 2021
The Hawkeye State
So this seems to be a designer breed, created with the Swedish Black Hen. I can't really find much on them here or anywhere really, so I'm not sure if this is just a novelty chicken or one that has some history behind them. There's a couple of farms that sell what they call a "Bla Hona" or Swedish Blue Chicken. This farm seems to have the most detail on the breeding stock they carry: https://www.springcreekheritagefarms.com/bla-hona.html

Does anyone have any experience with these, know of other breeders or able to share some photos?

Last edited:
I don’t know? I couldn’t find anything on them on the Swedish Poultry Club… I did find another blue breed under a different name, it has different genetics than the Swedish Black. Lots of American breeds in the Blue breed developed in Sweden, lays a potentially blue gene egg (so seems to lay an egg color similar to my Crested Legbar crosses in color as best I could understand). Though I did have trouble navigating the Swedish site, so unsure.

We have to order more Swedish Black hatching eggs, we have one female only right now, we need a rooster and a few more hens.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be anything solid. I found some pics which appear to show a very similar colored bird, but supposedly an Isbar / Black Hen cross. Well thanks for looking anyway.

There is a second breeder with the page to Bla Hona under construction, I am guessing they are raising the breeding stock maybe?

They could be sports or accidentally cross breeds that they then back bred to the Blacks. I did note they said they lay a white egg, my Blacks are light brown egg layers. I also noted they talked about switching off the black pigment so some birds have red combs… um that would indicate cross breeding or bad breeding (not carefully selecting the birds for breeding) to me not a sport color… the bird’s skin, beak, eyes etc all need to be black regardless of sport color.

These folks are building the page

https://www.gradeehfarms.ca/

I got some Swedish blue hens from a hatchery she said they are an ayam cemani and isbar mix- and will lay green eggs. I just got them 2 weeks ago but I can’t find any info on them either 🤷‍♀️ Tiny all black chicks mine are straight run so unsure how I’m gonna sex them 🤣🤣

Attachments

• B994E4D9-782A-44F0-AFDE-7C06CA1821DE.jpeg
    B994E4D9-782A-44F0-AFDE-7C06CA1821DE.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 421E73A0-1131-4B80-8C32-209C7D0EDA2B.jpeg
    421E73A0-1131-4B80-8C32-209C7D0EDA2B.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 29

Back
Top Bottom