Black and reddish brown probably-rooster? (breed and gender IDing needed)

PBAndAlice

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2022
Connecticut
Quick backstory. We got 2 new chicks last week and unfortunately we lost one, when my family went back to buy another (while I was in class) the farmer apparently "threw in an extra one for free". Already knew it'd likely be a rooster when I heard that, but I also have no idea what the breed is so I'm curious. Even though we aren't gonna keep him for long lol. BTW, he (1, brown and black chick) and the Buff Orpington (2) are both a bit over a week old, and the first chick the Silver Wyandotte (not pictured) is 3 weeks.

Here's him from the front
20230406_180813.jpg

Side view
20230406_180826.jpg

Top of back
20230406_180818.jpg

Wing
20230406_180851.jpg

That's all I have RN for Breed ID. Parents unknown, and the only breeds I can remember the guy having are Silver and Gold Lace Wyandotte and Buff and Black Orpingtons, though he had a LOT of different breeds available, all mixed together. Clean feet that are gray and orange. Looks like a single comb.

For sexing however, I have a lot of evidence, but I'm not sure what's just myths or breed differences rather than sex differences. Please let me know because I'd like to learn some methods for future reference!!

1. Wings
[Is this a breed difference and/or myth?]
Also not sure if feathers even work after 2 days but I noticed their wing shapes are different, where the unknown chick (1) has a two-step kind of wing and the Buff (2) has a roundish wing.
20230409_210526.jpg

20230409_210457.jpg

2. Combs
[Is this a breed difference?]
I see everyone using combs but I figured I'd ask anyway. 1 has a slightly bigger comb than 2, but they both have single combs. (Sorry for the blurry pic + kinda hard to tell)
20230409_210327.jpg

3. Legs
[Is this a myth and/or breed difference?]
I heard somewhere that someone used leg size as another sexing technique. I noticed 1 has slightly wider/larger legs than 2.
20230409_210415.jpg

4. Tail
[Is this a myth?]
I ALSO heard that roos grow their tails slower than pullets, and 1's tail is shorter than 2's. Hard to tell here too, sorry.
20230409_210554.jpg

5. Body size
While I wouldn't use this as a deciding factor, I do think it's worth noting that 1 has a larger body and seems to feel "more muscular" or just denser when held.
20230409_210906.jpg

6. Behavior
1 is very loud, has a LOUD raspy chirp while 2 and the Wyandotte trill and tweet. 1 also jumps on top of the Wyandotte often (who is larger than him) in what I can only assume to be a display of dominance.

7. Vent
I've read that it's advised not to do this, and I worry about hurting my birds, so I tried to do this as minimally invasive as possible - I kinda just push up above the vent (pushing the tail up) and try to get a good look while their vents do that.. Weird pulsing thing. So strange lol. I noticed the "bubble" things that people mention when it comes to sexing chicks, which I didn't see on the other two confirmed females, but I'm not sure if I was seeing correctly and didn't wanna stress him or hurt him so I put him down. Any advice for this part? Does this work? Did I even do it right? Should I not do it? Is it reliable enough that I could use it in the future? (I forgot to get a pic.)

I dunno what else to add here. Sorry for writing so much as always. I just like to talk and write lol. Byes. :p

Looks like one of my Barnevelders.
Wait until 6-7 weeks for comb and waddle growth, every thing else has to be bred for or is a old wives tale.
My Partridge Rocks were big, hefty chicks, my Sussex had pronounced combs and a few had tail tufts. All are hens. :]
Hi, thanks for the reply!
I definitely see the resemblance when it comes to 1+ week old Barnevelder chicks, but this one was all black with the brownish face when he was a few days old, which doesn't seem too common with regular Barnevelder chicks. Edit: I should add I'm using just images on Google.
I'm just going with what their feathers are now though. (I really hope they aren't a rooster because those are really pretty chickens!!)
I also get that they're too young to tell right now, everyone in my family (including myself) is just very impatient LOL. Do you think even the vent method is inaccurate or should I not use it? Either way though we'll be keeping all three chicks for 7+ weeks until we're able to completely tell.
Thanks again! :]

The chick in question looks like they have some gold laced wyandotte in there, but it sounds like the farmer was doing some mixing, is that right? That can change things up a bit.

Hi, thanks for the reply!
I definitely see the resemblance when it comes to 1+ week old Barnevelder chicks, but this one was all black with the brownish face when he was a few days old, which doesn't seem too common with regular Barnevelder chicks. Edit: I should add I'm using just images on Google.
I'm just going with what their feathers are now though. (I really hope they aren't a rooster because those are really pretty chickens!!)
I also get that they're too young to tell right now, everyone in my family (including myself) is just very impatient LOL. Do you think even the vent method is inaccurate or should I not use it? Either way though we'll be keeping all three chicks for 7+ weeks until we're able to completely tell.
Thanks again! :]
The vent method is about 90% accurate when done by professionals, its easy to hurt them if you arent trained, just be patient.

Quick backstory. We got 2 new chicks last week and unfortunately we lost one, when my family went back to buy another (while I was in class) the farmer apparently "threw in an extra one for free". Already knew it'd likely be a rooster when I heard that, but I also have no idea what the breed is so I'm curious. Even though we aren't gonna keep him for long lol. BTW, he (1, brown and black chick) and the Buff Orpington (2) are both a bit over a week old, and the first chick the Silver Wyandotte (not pictured) is 3 weeks.

Here's him from the front
View attachment 3461819

Side view
View attachment 3461826

Top of back
View attachment 3461827

Wing
View attachment 3461828

That's all I have RN for Breed ID. Parents unknown, and the only breeds I can remember the guy having are Silver and Gold Lace Wyandotte and Buff and Black Orpingtons, though he had a LOT of different breeds available, all mixed together. Clean feet that are gray and orange. Looks like a single comb.

For sexing however, I have a lot of evidence, but I'm not sure what's just myths or breed differences rather than sex differences. Please let me know because I'd like to learn some methods for future reference!!

1. Wings
[Is this a breed difference and/or myth?]
Also not sure if feathers even work after 2 days but I noticed their wing shapes are different, where the unknown chick (1) has a two-step kind of wing and the Buff (2) has a roundish wing.
View attachment 3461831
View attachment 3461832

2. Combs
I see everyone using combs but I figured I'd ask anyway. 1 has a slightly bigger comb than 2, but they both have single combs. (Sorry for the blurry pic + kinda hard to tell)
View attachment 3461835

3. Legs
[Is this a myth and/or breed difference?]
I heard somewhere that someone used leg size as another sexing technique. I noticed 1 has slightly wider/larger legs than 2.
View attachment 3461839

4. Tail
[Is this a myth?]
I ALSO heard that roos grow their tails slower than pullets, and 1's tail is shorter than 2's. Hard to tell here too, sorry.
View attachment 3461840

5. Body size
While I wouldn't use this as a deciding factor, I do think it's worth noting that 1 has a larger body and seems to feel "more muscular" or just denser when held.
View attachment 3461841

6. Behavior
1 is very loud, has a LOUD raspy chirp while 2 and the Wyandotte trill and tweet. 1 also jumps on top of the Wyandotte often (who is larger than him) in what I can only assume to be a display of dominance.

7. Vent
I've read that it's advised not to do this, and I worry about hurting my birds, so I tried to do this as minimally invasive as possible - I kinda just push up above the vent (pushing the tail up) and try to get a good look while their vents do that.. Weird pulsing thing. So strange lol. I noticed the "bubble" things that people mention when it comes to sexing chicks, which I didn't see on the other two confirmed females, but I'm not sure if I was seeing correctly and didn't wanna stress him or hurt him so I put him down. Any advice for this part? Does this work? Did I even do it right? Should I not do it? Is it reliable enough that I could use it in the future? (I forgot to get a pic.)

I dunno what else to add here. Sorry for writing so much as always. I just like to talk and write lol. Byes. :p
Chick 1 looks like a barnevelder. They develope way slow, so I’d wait that one out.

Back
Top Bottom