Black Copper Marans - Which Roosters to keep?

ZurcherFarms

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Hello from Nebraska!

I have 7 Black Copper Marans and 1 Splash Marans Rooster that I hatched out in December and February. I'm trying to figure out which ones I should keep for breeding purposes. All of them came from "good lines" but we all know there are plenty cull birds from show lines... I had more than 7 roosters but have culled all with any really obvious problems like comb sprigs, etc.

In my program I'm trying to breed for darker egg color, and I've marked my darkest eggs that hatched (my birds have wing tags), so I'll keep those two. My question is, what about the rest? Which traits should I value more in BCM? All of them have roughly the same body shape, none are too V or upright. Most are missing their feathers on their legs, but that is because they're all in a pen of strictly roosters (that are getting cramped, hence why I need to make a decision and cull some) and the other breeds I have in there are not fond of the feathers on their legs and pick at them (Bielefelder, Cream Legbar, and Ice Cream Bar). The Marans in the pen are three different ages, the oldest "Midas" (because he was the only shipped egg that hatched, making him a $45 bird) has the most copper and black spots on his comb from the other roosters messing with him. He's our friendliest, but came out of the lightest egg in the whole batch, barely a #4 on the scale. Then 2-3 are about 4 weeks younger than him, and the rest are 2 weeks younger than the others. So some are smaller and have a lot less developed hackles, etc.

Main differences in the birds that I can notice are how much copper feathers they have (some lean more towards a mahogany color, but may lighten up as they mature fully and the feathers grow) and the shape of their comb. At least one rooster has a much darker face. Is it more important to cull for copper coloring in the BCM or symmetrical points on the comb? I would love opinions! I'm new to this breed and these are my first batch, I want to start my breeding program right. TIA!

IMG_20180519_161457305.jpg IMG_20180519_161630900.jpg "Midas" Light egg, lots of copper.

IMG_20180519_161659164.jpg IMG_20180519_161743901_BURST001.jpg IMG_20180519_161939270_LL.jpg IMG_20180519_162002956_BURST000_COVER_TOP (2).jpg IMG_20180519_162057199.jpg IMG_20180519_161332929_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I was looking at this just the other day :D
http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/black-copper-marans.html

presentation wise Midas looks the best. also you wouldn't necessarily know exactly what his genes are egg wise unless you had a daughter of his that was laying eggs. you only know his mothers egg color genetics. would it be possible to keep 2 Marans boys? the one that looks the best and was hatched from the darkest egg, and Midas, long enough to test his genetics? (that's a long time...)

would it be possible to keep 2 Marans boys?

As I plan on keeping a Rooster pen with all my "back up" roosters, I can easily keep 2 or 3 Marans Roosters total. I may put my "second string" Marans in with some of my non-marans hens to make more olive eggers, as specific breed SOP wouldn't be necessary but the roosters could still earn their keep. I don't want too many back-ups as I'd like to eventually keep some F1's, and keep track of what they hatched from and what their sisters/daughters lay. But by doing that too much I'd be feeding a lot of birds. (Thankfully I have a buyer that will take any rooster's off my hands for $10/ea. Barely enough to cover feed, but better than nothing!) At our farm we have Bielefelders, Creme Legbars, Ice Cream Bars, and an assortment of layers (tetra tint, buff orpington, cuckoo marans, and black sex links)

As I plan on keeping a Rooster pen with all my "back up" roosters, I can easily keep 2 or 3 Marans Roosters total. I may put my "second string" Marans in with some of my non-marans hens to make more olive eggers, as specific breed SOP wouldn't be necessary but the roosters could still earn their keep. I don't want too many back-ups as I'd like to eventually keep some F1's, and keep track of what they hatched from and what their sisters/daughters lay. But by doing that too much I'd be feeding a lot of birds. (Thankfully I have a buyer that will take any rooster's off my hands for $10/ea. Barely enough to cover feed, but better than nothing!) At our farm we have Bielefelders, Creme Legbars, Ice Cream Bars, and an assortment of layers (tetra tint, buff orpington, cuckoo marans, and black sex links)
:D mmmm Ice-cream bars. :drool

sorry had to. lol

since you don't intend to process your unwanted birds for human food, are you aiming for a smaller sized bird to lower your feed cost?

which roosters you choose to keep are going to be very dependent on what traits you want your birds to have. Since Midas was the only egg to hatch of his group of eggs it's likely the BCM hens and the other roos you have aren't related. unless you got them from the same breeder. which for me would be more reason to keep him as your main roo.

What I would recommend is for you to make a list of all the traits you would like to have when you're done. feather coloring, egg coloring, adult size, amount of leg feathers, comb appearance, etc. and breed toward your goals. once you have several years of chicks and you know who is giving what traits, you can bring in new blood with hopefully more of the traits you want and keep moving toward your ideal chicken. :D

You make very good points, and I think I'll definitely apply your advice on some of my easter egger and olive egger breeding pens, but I really want to stick as close as I can to the SOP for my Marans. (I personally think two many breeders have done what they want with this breed and have hurt the overall breed characteristics here in the US.) So I would say my ultimate goals for the Marans are to be as close to SOP as possible and to have as dark of an egg as possible.

:D mmmm Ice-cream bars. :drool
Overall I'm not too impressed with them. I bought eggs online as a whim. The hens are super small, practically bantams, though I admit they're not full grown yet. I'm going to stick with the straight Creme Legbars from now on.

You make very good points, and I think I'll definitely apply your advice on some of my easter egger and olive egger breeding pens, but I really want to stick as close as I can to the SOP for my Marans. (I personally think two many breeders have done what they want with this breed and have hurt the overall breed characteristics here in the US.) So I would say my ultimate goals for the Marans are to be as close to SOP as possible and to have as dark of an egg as possible.

Overall I'm not too impressed with them. I bought eggs online as a whim. The hens are super small, practically bantams, though I admit they're not full grown yet. I'm going to stick with the straight Creme Legbars from now on.
I've never had that breed and don't actually know what it looks like. I meant the frozen treat. :p

I wish I had access to Marans from a breeder that cared. The only ones available here are not great quality.

That's what got me into it actually. I bought "discount Marans" from a hatchery which turned out to be cuckoo and black marans. They're maybe a 2-3 on the color scale. I was so annoyed I tried to save a few bucks, and ended up wasting an entire year by the time I found out and got more. Second time around I bought a LOT of eggs off Ebay and hatched them myself. My girls should start laying here in a few weeks. I don't expect this first batch to be of show quality, but in a few generations I'm a lot more hopeful.

Ice Cream Bars are from an Isbar "Ice-bar" and Cream Legbar cross. They're suppose to lay green eggs, mine are all a pale blue. Practically the same color as my Legbars.

:smackBlack French Copper Marans lay huge eggs . They tend to be somewhat lazy layers . Meaning they aren't my best producers by any means .Also because of the large eggs they can and will die, from tracks being torn up from laying such large eggs .Their first year is their best year in my experience . If you are going for egg color then SOP means nothing . If your going for show SOP means everything. Honestly chickens and birds are the fastest breeding program there is. Pullets you hatch this month you'll see eggs from in November most likely .So if you get large fertile pullet eggs you could see those hatchlings by January . And they then will be laying by next May or June .I have to say ,you can't make a decision on roosters bunched up in a grow out . They will tear each other up . Grow out your roosters separately if possible . Or in pairs depending of the number of hens you plan to have in a breeding pen . This way you can see the true rooster. And then you can decide . If paired as hatchlings they won't fight to bad as adults . If you going for egg color and SOP, then pick your roosters using those markers to make you decision . Which is the closest one to SOP from the darkest egg:idunno I just hatch all the eggs light and dark ,When I feel I have enough then I stop hatching .Marans have very dominate size and color genes when it comes to cross breeding . Whatever you cross them too will be black an bigger .The cross bred back will then have the feathered legs . One of my best selling roosters at the flea market, is a cross between a Marans and a Gold Laced Wayndotte.Your in it now for sure. Where you go now depends you . :fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom