Bloody stool, new chickens what should I do?

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I got these 7 week old chickens yesterday. I noticed today that one of them has a bloody stool. Firm stool, but bloody fluid around it.

I'm not sure if the place they came from fed them medicated feed, but we do. Is this enough to control it? Could stress of the move and new home contribute to it? Rough handling of trying to catch them?

I haven't had them long enough to know what their behavior is to tell if it's changed or not. They seem to be eating and drinking ok.

I need some advice here.

Thanks

Even medicated feed doesn't always work. I suspect cocci so I would treat with amprolium or sulmet via water ASAP. You can watch it for a day if you want but if it is cocci, it will take birds down fast and they will go pale within a few days. Good luck!

Ok, I've searched all over the place to find the stuff, and all I could come up with was Ampro in a 1 gallon jug for $76 (too much) and Sulfadimethoxine not quite the same thing a Sulmet as far as I can tell. I got the Sulfadimethoxine, and I'm using that now. Anybody had any experience with this?

You are supposed to mix 1 packet to 50 gallons of water. So I divided the net weight by 50 to come up with the dosage for 1 gallon of water. I sure hope this works

Just wanted to thank you guys for your help. The girls are all better now. Just have another day on the meds to make sure.
smile.png

I've never had chickens before, but I swear they've grown at least an 1" in just 5 days. Is that possible? I guess that's a good sign that they are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom