Blue Silkie Rooster x Paint Pearl Hen

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
We have a Smokey Pearl Hen that had chicks with our black mottled Cookies and Cream Rooster. They had a Paint Pearl. Say you breed her with a blue silkie rooster? We did but trying to figure it out. Will they pass on the paint and ghost barring? The boys from the original parents had boys with ghost barring and the hens paints. Will the blue silkie and paint pearl hens pass this on? Would we get the paints again or a blue barred? Or no paints and barring at all? They are definitely way small and have the fifth toe!

I'm not gonna be much help.
Idk the genetics of Smokey Pearls and to be honest I'd be suprised if Hoover's even does so trying to research them may not even help me.

We have a Smokey Pearl Hen that had chicks with our black mottled Cookies and Cream Rooster. They had a Paint Pearl. Say you breed her with a blue silkie rooster? We did but trying to figure it out. Will they pass on the paint and ghost barring? The boys from the original parents had boys with ghost barring and the hens paints. Will the blue silkie and paint pearl hens pass this on? Would we get the paints again or a blue barred? Or no paints and barring at all? They are definitely way small and have the fifth toe!
Since Smokey Pearl chickens are most likely a mixture of AustraWhite/Barred Rock X Silkie/Leghorn, you may end up with silkied feathered offspring.
(Saw someone's Smokey Pearl with Black skin, & 5 toes)

Blue should change the black to blue yes, but not in all the offspring though. Expect at least half being black not blue. Blue, & Black paints may be produced.

If the smokey pearl hen has the ghost barring, it should be passed down to the boys.

I'm not gonna be much help.
Idk the genetics of Smokey Pearls and to be honest I'd be suprised if Hoover's even does so trying to research them may not even help me.
It’s been a challenging journey for sure! The paint offspring are now laying and we are hatching them. The barring doesn’t come out until they are around a month or two so it’s hard to tell them apart but now thinking most don’t even breed true so doesn’t say much for the 3rd generation.
I’m still learning passing of genetics through generation. Most of the time I’m mainly scratching my head though!

Since Smokey Pearl chickens are most likely a mixture of AustraWhite/Barred Rock X Silkie/Leghorn, you may end up with silkied feathered offspring.
(Saw someone's Smokey Pearl with Black skin, & 5 toes)

Blue should change the black to blue yes, but not in all the offspring though. Expect at least half being black not blue. Blue, & Black paints may be produced.

If the smokey pearl hen has the ghost barring, it should be passed down to the boys.
That makes sense! I did have a speculation it might be a Pearl Onyx but silkie fits right in with the equation! One baby here is a 3rd generation coincidentally with a silkie ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_9798.jpeg
    IMG_9798.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 2
Do you have a pic of the original Smokey pearl?
This all sounds like paint (dominate white) but I thought they were supposed to be a Smokey grey color.

Do you have a pic of the original Smokey pearl?
This all sounds like paint (dominate white) but I thought they were supposed to be a Smokey grey color.
Yes. They are a tad Smokey and dominate white with ghost barring. The first pic is the offspring of a Smokey Pearl. The boys you can see barring and some girls had black feet and some didn’t. Some got super Smokey. I didn’t like the tufts and crests so last pic is new pearl paints I put together. If you’re into breeding they are fun!

Attachments

• IMG_8148.jpeg
    IMG_8148.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    838.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7651.jpeg
    IMG_7651.jpeg
    923.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7133.jpeg
    IMG_7133.jpeg