Boss hen kicking out eggs that are different colors than hers?

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
I have 10 chickens currently laying and my boss hen is a Rhode Island Red with a 🔥spicy personality. All but three lay some shade of brown egg, the others lay blue/green.

I currently have six nesting boxes so there never seems to be an issue with fighting over laying space but the boss will go through the boxes, kick out all the blue eggs and leave the brown/tan/cream. Is this a thing or something coincidental?

I have 10 chickens currently laying and my boss hen is a Rhode Island Red with a 🔥spicy personality. All but three lay some shade of brown egg, the others lay blue/green.

I currently have six nesting boxes so there never seems to be an issue with fighting over laying space but the boss will go through the boxes, kick out all the blue eggs and leave the brown/tan/cream. Is this a thing or something coincidental?
We have a very diverse flock, RIR, Leghorn, Orps, Gold Laced,Polish, Brahma Light, CopperMoran, BarredRock, and several mixed breeds hatched from the flock.
We get 4-5 different shades and colors from Olive, green, Brown( several shades on the spectrum), and white.
While some of our hens can be a bit bitchy towards other breeds , they all usually use the same assorted nesting boxes. There are 12 boxes, but most eggs wind up in 5 nests, with a few oddballs that like privacy when laying.
We’ve seen Reds hens chase a Leghorn or Orpington out of a nest, and it has turned out to be all the same color/ shades in that box, but have not seen them removing the different color egg if they are already layed.
I’m going to assume it’s a quirk of that hen.
Have you tried putting the colored eggs back in?

We have a very diverse flock, RIR, Leghorn, Orps, Gold Laced,Polish, Brahma Light, CopperMoran, BarredRock, and several mixed breeds hatched from the flock.
We get 4-5 different shades and colors from Olive, green, Brown( several shades on the spectrum), and white.
While some of our hens can be a bit bitchy towards other breeds , they all usually use the same assorted nesting boxes. There are 12 boxes, but most eggs wind up in 5 nests, with a few oddballs that like privacy when laying.
We’ve seen Reds hens chase a Leghorn or Orpington out of a nest, and it has turned out to be all the same color/ shades in that box, but have not seen them removing the different color egg if they are already layed.
I’m going to assume it’s a quirk of that hen.
Have you tried putting the colored eggs back in?
Thank you. We have tried putting them back in and the same thing happens. She’s crazy!

We put some ceramic eggs in our nesting boxes to encourage our young hens to lay there and not peck eggs. They get kicked out, too and rather far sometimes! I don’t know who is the culprit, yet

Back
Top Bottom