Boy goat limping

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
One of our goats, a year and a half old wether, is limping. I'm fairly certain that it started when he tried to jump over a fence when he was young, and got a back hoof caught up in the top of the netting.
I'm not sure how long he was there for, but it can't have been that long. At the time, apart from being slightly sore, he didn't seem to have any injures.
Since then, very slowly, it has got been getting worse. After walking around a bit, you can hardly tell, but when he first gets up, he is really starting to struggle to walk at times.
Its a back leg, or maybe more the hip? I'm not quite sure.
Anything I can try at this point? Obviously, it happened quite a while ago, so I don't know what one could do now, but if you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

One of our goats, a year and a half old wether, is limping. I'm fairly certain that it started when he tried to jump over a fence when he was young, and got a back hoof caught up in the top of the netting.
I'm not sure how long he was there for, but it can't have been that long. At the time, apart from being slightly sore, he didn't seem to have any injures.
Since then, very slowly, it has got been getting worse. After walking around a bit, you can hardly tell, but when he first gets up, he is really starting to struggle to walk at times.
Its a back leg, or maybe more the hip? I'm not quite sure.
Anything I can try at this point? Obviously, it happened quite a while ago, so I don't know what one could do now, but if you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.
How long ago did it happen?
Can you get a video of him walking, so we can see his limp?

Is a vet an option?

How long ago did it happen?
Can you get a video of him walking, so we can see his limp?

Is a vet an option?
About 6 mouths ago.
I don't have a yt account or anything, so I can't post a video. If it would be very useful, tomorrow I could make one (I'm about to go to bed, right now)
A vet is not really an option, if it gets really bad, maybe, but not how it is in the moment.

About 6 mouths ago.
I don't have a yt account or anything, so I can't post a video. If it would be very useful, tomorrow I could make one (I'm about to go to bed, right now)
A vet is not really an option, if it gets really bad, maybe, but not how it is in the moment.
A video could help for sure, just to see how severe it is and where the pain could be in the leg-
Have you had a good feel of the leg, hip, joints, for any cuts, heat or swelling?

Hopefully it isn't too serious and he's able to recover fully, really soon!

A video could help for sure, just to see how severe it is and where the pain could be in the leg-
I'll see about getting a yt account set up, its about time anyway. Might take a little while.
Have you had a good feel of the leg, hip, joints, for any cuts, heat or swelling?
I have to a degree, but I'm really not quite sure where the problem is, which makes it a bit hard.
I'll have another feel.
Thank you for helping!

@BelovedBirds here is the video.
He had been walking around grazing for a while, and you can hardly see it.
There is a big difference when he has just gotten up, however nearer the end of the video you can see a bit.
Hopefully I can get a video when he as just stood up sometime, and then you will see why I am concerned about it.
Any thoughts one which leg, and where one the leg the problem is?

He's adorable! It looks to me like the limp is his hind left-- but I'm no expert.
If you can't see or feel any heat/swelling/wounds on the leg and foot, I would wait a while and keep an eye on him. If It persists, a vet may be able to help

He's adorable! It looks to me like the limp is his hind left-- but I'm no expert.
If you can't see or feel any heat/swelling/wounds on the leg and foot, I would wait a while and keep an eye on him. If It persists, a vet may be able to help
Thank you, and that is what I thought, but wasn't sure.
I will have another look and feel on that leg.
He is a sweet heart, a bit shy because his mother is a feral, and while she is very friendly because she was bottle raised he has inherited a bit of the skittish temperament.

Back
Top Bottom