Bradford pear berries and chickens

Badchickenpun

Songster
May 9, 2022
Central Indiana
So the property has the dreaded bradford pear trees. Haven't ripped them out yet... the chickens just discovered them and are pecking around the base at the fallen berries... are they poisonous? I've seen other birds eat them...

Bradford pears are not poisonous for chickens or any other creature.

Calling the pears berries is new to me. Is that common where you are from? Language can get quite interesting.
You are thinking of Bartlett pears. Bradford pears are a decorative tree that produces berries. Common landscaping tree, and invasive. Makes little red berries that very few things eat.

You are thinking of Bartlett pears. Bradford pears are a decorative tree that produces berries. Common landscaping tree, and invasive. Makes little red berries that very few things eat.
Yes, I was. Thank you.
I found this interesting Link

It says Bradford pears are "inedible" but not like some crab apples are "inedible" - not poisonous, just taste so bad that people don't want to eat them.

Lol, I think the trees lining the streets in the subdivision were Bradford pears. I often wondered what kind of tree they were when I walked under them but didn't care enough to work very hard figuring it out when I got home. Nice to know now.

Edit: I reworded as I wrote and missed a word. It should be: It says Bradford pears are "inedible" but like some crab apples are "inedible"...

Not: but not like some crab apples

Last edited:
Yes, I was. Thank you.
I found this interesting Link

It says Bradford pears are "inedible" but not like some crab apples are "inedible" - not poisonous, just taste so bad that people don't want to eat them.

Lol, I think the trees lining the streets in the subdivision were Bradford pears. I often wondered what kind of tree they were when I walked under them but didn't care enough to work very hard figuring it out when I got home. Nice to know now.
Stinky fish trees. In the spring they have pretty little flower but they sMel nasty. The "pear" in the name has more to do with the over all shape of the canopy, than fruit. Very misleading

Bradford pears are not poisonous for chickens or any other creature.

Calling the pears berries is new to me. Is that common where you are from? Language can get quite interesting.
These pears look far more like berries than pears. If you cut into them, they smell like an apple.

Back
Top Bottom