Breathing heavy, not looking please help

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
This is my favorite chicken. She has been breathing with her mouth open and her tail moves up and down. I treated her with tylan and nothing has changed. Her throat seems fine. No other symptoms. She is eating and drinking, but I noticed she is hanging out by herself. It's been like 2 weeks.

Looking online it says it could be a respiratory disease and they don't recommend treatment at home.

Please don't shoot me my husband is out of work and I don't have money to take to a vet and plus I am in the suburbs, no farm vet here.

I have denagard, will that work? Any advice please?? She is so important to me and I hate seeing her with this heavy/labored breathing.

Her crop is fine

Last edited:
What is the Denagard for? Had you used that in the past for the chickens or other farm animals? It can treat symptoms of MG. Does she have any other symptoms today, such as bubbles or foam in one eye, a swollen eyelid, or sneezing? Gasping or labored breathing can sometimes be due to water belly, a respiratory infection, or something in the environment irritating her nasal passages. Is she laying eggs or is her tail position up or down? Is there any mold, dust or ammonia odor inside the coop? Can you examine her lower belly for any enlargement or fluid? Have you wormed recently? That also could be causing some respiratory problems, since capillary worms can affect breathing. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1.25 ml given orally for 5 days can treat most worms in a 5 pound chicken.

What is the Denagard for? Had you used that in the past for the chickens or other farm animals? It can treat symptoms of MG. Does she have any other symptoms today, such as bubbles or foam in one eye, a swollen eyelid, or sneezing? Gasping or labored breathing can sometimes be due to water belly, a respiratory infection, or something in the environment irritating her nasal passages. Is she laying eggs or is her tail position up or down? Is there any mold, dust or ammonia odor inside the coop? Can you examine her lower belly for any enlargement or fluid? Have you wormed recently? That also could be causing some respiratory problems, since capillary worms can affect breathing. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1.25 ml given orally for 5 days can treat most worms in a 5 pound chicken.
I used denagard for mg. No symptoms at all except being less social. Her body feels fine. I dewormed last fall.

Last edited:
If you’ve have possible MG in the past, that’s likely the culprit of your bird’s illness. MG is a lifetime chronic respiratory disease that’ll never go away and your birds will shed it through their feces, feathers, dander, respiratory secretions, and other bodily fluids (such as blood or saliva).

If you’ve have possible MG in the past, that’s likely the culprit of your bird’s illness. MG is a lifetime chronic respiratory disease that’ll never go away and your birds will shed it through their feces, feathers, dander, respiratory secretions, and other bodily fluids (such as blood or saliva).
Yes but she isn't showing any other symptoms

Back
Top Bottom