Breed and gender help

jennsrad

Hatching
Apr 26, 2023
Hi all, I’m new to raising chickens and am looking for feedback on 2 of my birds. I have a 7 week old Rhode Island Red that was sold as a pullet, but her comb has developed quickly so now I’m questioning if she’s really a she. Her comb hasn’t turned very red yet. It’s probably too early to say, but wanted opinions.
9A8053AB-8ECC-4E36-B68D-B3AC79B1A470.jpeg

3AA9FB73-8772-4C49-949C-EB0D9A558769.jpeg

I also have a second 6 week old bird (white and gray) that I’m thinking is a cockerel, but I have no idea what breed he is. He hatched from a blue egg so I’m thinking an Ameraucana or Ameraucana mix? Any thoughts on breed or gender for this one? Thanks!
49510F43-5723-4C8C-B5BF-BE85BAC63C7F.jpeg

B66AD772-3026-4AC9-96CB-AD1FBD487997.jpeg
C63A60FB-4434-4295-A43D-50B91FEDD76D.jpeg

I’d say both are cockerels. The white and gray one has reddish brown flecks on its wings and I believe strongly that is a male coloration trait. Besides their red combs.

I’d say both are cockerels. The white and gray one has reddish brown flecks on its wings and I believe strongly that is a male coloration trait. Besides their red combs.
Oh, and he has yellow legs and I think I see some slight barring. So may have some barred ancestry

I was thinking the same for the white and gray. Thanks for your feedback!

Hi, and welcome to BYC!

The first chicken looks like a pullet to me.

The second I am 50/50 on them being a pullet or cockerel.

Beautiful birds! 💖

The red peeking through on the shoulders of the grey and white EE, and the comb... hopefully you wanted a cockerel.

My vote is for pullet on the RIR. Two more weeks and I think you can be 100% sure, but even though she's getting a pink comb, the wattle size says pullet.

Back
Top Bottom