Breed? Hen or roo??

np3farmhouse

Chirping
May 1, 2023
I cannot remember what I was told this chick was when I bought it (thanks ADHD and Mom brain for not writing it down) The black/red one

I am thinking possibly black copper maran? or at least that's my hope.

Also what are your thoughts on hen or roo? I was initially thinking roo due to the wattles but its comb isn't coming in like the leghorn that I am almost certain is a roo. They are the same age (got from same person) and are around 5 weeks old.

Also included a pic of the day I got it, it was about a week older then the ISA browns in the same box but it has grown A LOT more then the others and got its feathers already except on its head.

C2.jpg C1.jpg C3.jpg C4.jpg C5.jpg

The white does look like a cock could you tell me a bit about their behavior? Do they raise their hackles?
I have not seen them doing that but I do work full time so no idea what they do during the day.

The white one is much more standoffish then all my other chicks I have. Does not want anything to do with me, unless I have snacks then it will eat out of my hand without issue.

Black/red one is curious and will come over to me if I'm sitting down with them and just stare at me.

I didn't mess with them as much as I probably should have because I can't have a rooster and I didn't want to get attached to anyone that might be dinner :/

I have not seen them doing that but I do work full time so no idea what they do during the day.

The white one is much more standoffish then all my other chicks I have. Does not want anything to do with me, unless I have snacks then it will eat out of my hand without issue.

Black/red one is curious and will come over to me if I'm sitting down with them and just stare at me.

I didn't mess with them as much as I probably should have because I can't have a rooster and I didn't want to get attached to anyone that might be dinner :/
Do they thrust their chest in the air? I get that except that I don't think I could ever eat my Roos

Do they thrust their chest in the air? I get that except that I don't think I could ever eat my Roos
no they dont seem to be doing that either. Ill watch extra close tonight to make sure.
I am raising them for meat as well as eggs, got dual purpose breeds. Im technically not supposed to have chickens but noone can see in my pasture haha

Back
Top Bottom