breeding guinea fowl that are not free range

Thanks for all the help y'all gave! Sadly to say, I am now thinking I did the wrong thing keeping my guineas in the enclosure. In the back, something scratched under the fence and slaughtered all my 7 guineas...just ate parts of them...and only left one little girl that was so sad the next couple days. I cried right along with her as she looked for her mates! I kept her in the pen with my chickens but she didn't like that and when she got a chance she went into a tree. The day after that she was just gone. I was heartbroken.
Now I still have the one little baby and it's doing great. I bought 4 baby chicks to keep 'her' company and I am keeping those in a cage inside the chickens' secure pen.
I might try again next spring.....so devastated at the loss of my featherbabies! 😭😭😭
Wondering now if I should have just let them roam free and roost in the trees? For a while I let half of them out one day and penned those....let the other half out the next day...alternately. At one time one half roosted in a tree....wish now I had let them all out to roost in the trees!

Wondering now if I should have just let them roam free and roost in the trees? For a while I let half of them out one day and penned those....let the other half out the next day...alternately. At one time one half roosted in a tree....wish now I had let them all out to roost in the trees!
When I let my first flock roost outside of the coop, I lost every single one of them to Great Horned Owls.

Thanks for all the help y'all gave! Sadly to say, I am now thinking I did the wrong thing keeping my guineas in the enclosure. In the back, something scratched under the fence and slaughtered all my 7 guineas...just ate parts of them...and only left one little girl that was so sad the next couple days. I cried right along with her as she looked for her mates! I kept her in the pen with my chickens but she didn't like that and when she got a chance she went into a tree. The day after that she was just gone. I was heartbroken.
Now I still have the one little baby and it's doing great. I bought 4 baby chicks to keep 'her' company and I am keeping those in a cage inside the chickens' secure pen.
I might try again next spring.....so devastated at the loss of my featherbabies! 😭😭😭
I am so sorry.
Maybe next year you can order some keets from Cackle Hatchery (if you can get some from them)

I'm so sorry about them all passing. It's never fun losing guineas and finding bodies. So sorry.

I am sorry a predator got into your coop. I would fortify your coop before trying again and condition the birds to roost there at night. I wouldn't blame yourself on not letting them roost in trees as a means of keeping them alive.

Letting them roost in trees would severely increase the losses.

Back
Top Bottom