Brooder bedding

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I've just put my eggs into lockdown for my 2nd ever quail hatch so I'm prepping my brooder. Our first hatch we used pine shavings as the bedding. Last lot we got from the feed store the pine shavings are much much finer. Almost sawdusty. I currently have sand in there because I put that in there when I separated one that was being bullied.

Can I leave the sand? Or are the fine pine shavings okay? I do I need to go get some larger shavings? Other suggestions?

I wouldn't put sand in with chicks. They will probably eat it.

I would try larger shavings or you can use grippy shelf liner for the first couple of days before they become complete poop machines.

I wouldn't put sand in with chicks. They will probably eat it.

I would try larger shavings or you can use grippy shelf liner for the first couple of days before they become complete poop machines.
That's what I was worried about with the sand.
Same with the fine pine shavings right?

Yes. I would worry that they would eat those too, which is why I think larger shavings or grippy shelf liner would be better.
That was my gut feeling too...

I'll get some this afternoon and now I just have to hope something hatches!

First couple days something flat but not slick is the best advice I’ve seen. I found some puppy pads that aren’t too filamenty (is that a word?🤷‍♂️), won‘t catch their claws. I’ve seen a lot folks recommend those blue paper shop towels.

Back
Top Bottom