Brooder size and enrichments

JMunroe

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
Hi all!
Two weeks ago I got my very first batch of 8 baby chicks. I currently have them in one of those pet tent enclosures with the following dimensions (73”L x 36”W x 25”H). I have a brooder plate, large pine shavings, food/water, a couple of branches, a xylophone, a dust bath, and a bird ladder in the brooder, just to give you a visual of my set up. That being said, it seems that they are either still bored, or cramped, or overall maybe just unhappy being in there. I could be wrong but it seems like they tend to peck at each other a bit. I live in Massachusetts so unfortunately I think it’s too cold for any outdoor time yet (our highs right now are about 40-50F). My questions are:

Is this space too small?

Are their other things I can add or do with them to keep them happy for the remainder of their time indoors?

Thanks in advance!

:welcome
It's not too small.
You have branches but are they set up high for perching?
The xylophone is just a poop catcher. I personally would remove it.
Dig up a chunk of sod and plop that in there grass, roots, soil, stones, critters and all. After they get over their terror of it, they will have a heck of a good time scratching and pecking it to smithereens.

:welcome
It's not too small.
You have branches but are they set up high for perching?
The xylophone is just a poop catcher. I personally would remove it.
Dig up a chunk of sod and plop that in there grass, roots, soil, stones, critters and all. After they get over their terror of it, they will have a heck of a good time scratching and pecking it to smithereens.
Oh I like that idea thank you! The ground is a bit wet, should I dry it out some before plopping it in?

Oh I like that idea thank you! The ground is a bit wet, should I dry it out some before plopping it in?
If it is dripping water and mud all over the place, maybe bring it indoors to drip somewhere until it is less gloppy.

But if it is not leaving trails of water everwhere you go, it is probably fine to put straight in the brooder.

These 4 littles, 1 week olds and 4 day olds, were in my "she shed," 70* with ceramic heat bulb and a plate for 2 days, to make sure they were warmed up and recovered from shipping. Then I removed lamp and they had just a plate for another 10 days and I moved them out to the coop. It's 30's at night, 40's day. They have a MHP and ceramic bulb until this weekend when temps improve. Just letting you know that the remainder of indoor time doesn't have to be so long that they're feathered if you can provide a heat source outdoors until they're feathered.... . For sure the clump of sod is chick party,:jumpy so great advice to do that. I think my giant dog kept these guys entertained.... 😬

IMG_1437.JPG

Your brooder is more than adequate in size. They will peck at each other - it's part of establishing the pecking order. As long as nobody is bleeding, it's fine. Make sure you are feeding them a quality chick starter feed and make sure they have a hot spot to warm up and a cool spot to cool down. If possible, give them a darker area to get out of the light if you are using a heat lamp 24/7. Thow some branches and blocks of wood in there for them to practice their jumping skills on.

Back
Top Bottom