Brooding Hen & Chick

Jan 16, 2021
Kempner Texas
We have two hens that are both brooding in our chicken coop right now. One has about 10 eggs under her and the other has about 6 and just saw today a baby chick. This is our first time letting our hens brood and hatch the eggs. We have been hatching in our incubator with our quail eggs.
So this being our first time my question and concern is with our nesting box's being up in the air with a ramp they can walk down will this be ok for the chicks. Also what about them get feed and water??
Or should I take the chicks out as she hatchs them and put them in a brooder with feed and water?? Thanks for everyone's help

Attachments

• 20230503_153251.jpg
    20230503_153251.jpg
    889.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230503_173555.jpg
    20230503_173555.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Depending upon the width and angle of the ramp, the chicks may need help - monitor them closely. Make feed and water accessible, and the hen will take them to it. Make sure they can not get into the waterer and drown. Good luck.

my question and concern is with our nesting box's being up in the air with a ramp they can walk down will this be ok for the chicks.
My nests are either 2' or 4' above the coop floor. No ramps. When the hatch is over the hen hops down and calls her chicks. They jump down and run to her. They are not hurt. That is the last they see of a nest. At night or any time during the day she needs to warm them up she sets down on the coop floor and they go under her. She does not need a nest.

When they have a ramp, what I've seen is that the hen goes to the top of the ramp and calls the chicks. They run to her but on the ground. They cannot jump up to her and do not know to go to the end of the ramp and walk up. The hen does not know to go to the end of the ramp and lead them up. If you have a ramp it is a good idea to be there when they are going to bed in case they need help.

Also what about them get feed and water??
I put food and water on the coop floor where the chicks can get to it. The hen takes care of the rest. Since the chickens like to scratch, the food and water can get covered with bedding. I put a piece of plywood on top of the bedding with the water in the middle. They still scratch bedding up there after a while so I still have to clean it, just not as often. Do something similar with the food.

Back
Top Bottom