Broody hatched chick dead

SamCO

Songster
Mar 8, 2022
Northern Colorado
My broody has been sitting on eggs for 25 days. One finally hatched yesterday and was dead under mom this morning. Still partially wet. So sad. There’s another one externally pipped and chirping right now. And two more that have not pipped. I do not have an incubator. Should I try to let her hatch the others ir try to find an incubator and take them from her. Could she have killed it? No injuries that I can see. It was cold last night. Got down to 27 outside, but warmer in the coop. This is my first time with broody chicks and her first time sitting.

Attachments

• 68316168-6556-4125-9AED-42B71216D5B8.jpeg
    68316168-6556-4125-9AED-42B71216D5B8.jpeg
    673.5 KB · Views: 28
  • F706236B-A941-4693-A8EC-94113CA1AD8F.jpeg
    F706236B-A941-4693-A8EC-94113CA1AD8F.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 7
So just to update- my broody went on to hatch only a single other chick. The rest of the eggs didn’t make it. That chick is thriving though, and she just adopted two more day olds 5 days after her chick hatched.

So just to update- my broody went on to hatch only a single other chick. The rest of the eggs didn’t make it. That chick is thriving though, and she just adopted two more day olds 5 days after her chick hatched.
I’m so sorry to hear that your first broody hatch didn’t go well. There’s just so many variables involved that it’s hard to tell what could've gone wrong. — Congratulations on that one baby however, and that she adopted some others!! It’s amazing to watch Mama with her babies. We hatched out chicks for the first time this Spring as well using 2 of our Silkie broody hens. Luckily it went pretty well… We did lose one out of 6 tho, each hen had 3 eggs and all 6 did hatch but for some reason one of the chicks was quite weak and one night Mama kicked it out if the nest and it was cold and dead in the morning when I went out. Perhaps she thought something was wrong with it and rejected it? I’m really not sure why she would let go like that. It was very sad. It was a black showgirl; I’ll always remember that cute little baby in my heart even tho it was only 2days…
🤦🏻‍♀️♥️

Back
Top Bottom